ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

Is it true? Can you always find gold on the Fraser River?

(1/3) > >>

Ben Framed:
https://youtu.be/JyPHddM--ic

Michael Bush:
That's pretty much how the California gold rush in 1849 was.  There was gold everywhere, you just had to sluice it.  You could make somewhere between $100 and $200 a day depending on how rich the spot was.  Most of the work was digging ditches to get the water to the claim and the rest was sluicing the dirt.  So where is the Fraser river?  Is this the one in BC?

Ben Framed:
According to the The Canadian Encyclopedia
"The Fraser River is the longest river in British Columbia, stretching 1,375 km. It begins on the western side of the Rocky Mountains at Mount Robson Provincial Park, and ends in the Strait of Georgia at Vancouver."

Must be fun! I thought of Les when I ran across this video...

As a side note, I once worked with a fellow whose Great Great Uncle, went to the gold rush in Alaska. He was never heard from again....

Bees-in-the-boo:
I have played around the Fraser from Hope to it?s headwaters as well as many of its tributaries and it?s a unusual day that you don?t get some flakes in your pan..  Fraser River ?surface? gold found without digging pay from under large rocks is 99% tiny flat flakes and this makes it much more difficult to recover as it easily gets flushed away..
I have pulled quite a few tiny nuggets (sand sized grains really) from dry washes along the Fraser in the Cariboo region.. much easier but lots of atrial and error searching for a productive wash.

Ben Framed:
Bees-in-the-boo Welcome to Beemaster!

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version