Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hum.... Well Mr Lincoln?  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Hum.... Well Mr Lincoln?
« on: April 04, 2021, 02:19:16 am »
Hum: Who would have made up such ridiculous proclamations? What kind of people were these Independently minded People? Were they plumb loco? Who had ever heard of a Government of the People, By the People and For The People? What type of people had such independent thinking?  Was their forethought sound? Was the words spoken by Mr Lincoln almost a hundred years later spoken in vane? You decide...............

The Gettysburg Address is a speech that U.S. President Abraham Lincoln delivered during the American Civil War at the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on the afternoon of November 19, 1863.
"He extolled the sacrifices of those who died at Gettysburg in defense of those principles, and exhorted his listeners to resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain? That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom? And that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

I suppose those words can be traced in one form or another, back to the solid ground of OUR Constitution? The great equalizer of (Its), very own; (American Citizens)?

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/full-text
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 03:05:08 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hum.... Well Mr Lincoln?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 07:22:02 pm »
Lincoln is an interesting study.  He ignored the constitution when it suited him.  I suppose that would be called emergency powers these days. 
He didn't like slavery but had no intention of trying to end it.  He understood that he didn't have the authority to do so.  He gets credit for going to war to end slavery, but that's not why he did it and going to war to preserve the union was constitutionally questionable.  There is no mechanism for succession, but there is nothing that says states can't leave.

Different times, different people, good end result, but at a horrific cost. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:06:48 am »
but there is nothing that says states can't leave.
Maybe all the oaths Phil keeps talking about.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 09:26:57 pm »
but there is nothing that says states can't leave.
Maybe all the oaths Phil keeps talking about.

Thanks Brian, if the left as well as the right, would strive to meet the guidelines, obligations,  and requirements of the constitution, the oaths would be much more easily accepted and followed, being accomplished along with more peace and harmony. We can thank our very wise founders for the blueprints of our nations constitution, the basic equalizer of We, you and I, the people ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:48:51 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.