Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Package installation in cold weather  (Read 1673 times)

Offline urbanbe

• New Bee
Package installation in cold weather
« on: March 30, 2014, 03:44:19 pm »
Next week I will be installing several packages in North East.
The temperatures here 40-50F during the day but around 30F at night.  I was going to install in the evening. I will definitely have to feed them since nothing is blooming yet. My concern is that if I give them syrup in the evening and temperature will fall down to thirty degrees they will not be able to eat it. Should I give them sugar block instead? I will also give them a patty (honey mixed with pollen).
Another question: Is it better to install them on 10 or 5 five frame deep?
Thanks

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
Re: Package installation in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:32:11 pm »
Urbanbe

To get the best possible answer we would need to know what method you would be using to feed the syrup.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »
Put a quart jar of warm syrup inverted over the inner cover hole and put an empty super on top of the inner cover and then the top cover.   If the weather doesn't warm up enough during the day,  give them warm syrup each day. Keep two jars and swap them out.

Don't feed sugar, you are just making it harder for them.

If you mean a 5 frame nuc vs. 10 frame deep,  the nuc would be best and do the same as described above.

They have no brood to take care of so they can cluster as tight as they need to keep warm.   They will most likely cluster right under the jar and will keep it warm.

I have installed packages in the middle of a blizzard and they survived fine.

Like this, but with a normal super,  not a vented box.

BTW, where in NY are you located?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline urbanbe

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:26:28 pm »
S.&.M.Bee, I am Hudson Valley, NY.  I can feed them any way, that's not the question - top feeder, board division, or a can/pail/jar (as Robo suggests)  in the supper on top. My concern is that if temperature falls down to 30 at night and warms up to to only 40-50 during the day - will they be able to take it?
Should I give them a little bit on the first night and come back in the morning and to add warm syrup to the feeder?
Thanks

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:52:51 pm »
Feed with the inverted jar over the inner cover so that the bees can cluster right under it.  The heat they give off will help keep the syrup from cooling down as quick.   In reality,  they will be able to keep it warm enough to consume.   They won't be building wax,  but will not starve.    If you want to swap out the jar each morning with a warmed jar it will give them a jump start on the day.  BTW,  I live by the Ashokan reservoir.

Rob....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:47:42 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:25:37 pm »
I've fed with internal feeders and bees will take it with lows in low 20s and highs in 30's to low 40's.They  may not be flying,but if they don't have brood to cover they will forage inside the hive.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:44:26 pm »
Robo; What you said about them clustering under the jar makes a lot of sense. I went up above Gadsden Alabama Saturday morning to pick up 3 packages. It was in the upper 40s, rain, and breezy. All those bees were clustered centered on the feeder.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline urbanbe

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:11:05 pm »
Thanks. Robo, I think I bought your beevac last fall (was wondering why your pic with bee beard looks familiar). Did not use it yet, but hope this spring.

Offline urbanbe

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 10:40:36 am »
I have to keep bees in a package overnight (8 packages) before I drive 100 miles to another beeyard in the morning. Is it better to keep them outside in the back of my truck or bring them inside the house? The lowest temperature at night should be 39F (70F inside)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:51:01 pm »
I would try to find a place inside (garage or basement) that would be in the 50s.  They would probably be OK outside if in an enclosed area (truck cab, cap on truck, etc)