BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

how do you store your frames?

(1/3) > >>

rue:
When I first became a beekeeper I naively left my foundation frames in a plastic box in the shed and was dismayed to discover that the moth had got in.  I spoke to an experienced bee keeper and he uses a chemical to keep out the moth (cant spell it but think its foxtroxin).  Im organic so this just wouldnt do.  At the same time I had acquired a 2nd fridge freezer to keep non edibles in and I learnt to freeze the frames/stickies.  I then wrap them in plastic and put in a plastic box with lid and cover with sheets and keep in the house.  This has worked for 18 months.  I do worry that I might attract bugs (ants cockroaches) into the house but havent so far.  They also have to go under the grandies bunk beds (we have a tiny house) which makes me nervous due to bug worries lol.  This works OK but I imagined would be more difficult with more hives.  I only have one hive currently.  How do you manage storing frmase/wax organically and keep the wax moth out?  Oh we are in Perth Australia and have perfect temperature for moths.

buzzbee:
Freeze the boxes and seal in bags. Or Store them somewhere where they get a lot of light. Waxmoths are not fond of bright areas.

Joe D:
I have been putting mine in 55 gal trash bags and sealing the bags.  It works fine unless a rat eats holes in the bag.  My UPS driver told me he could get me some 55 gal food grade drums with removeable  tops.  I think I may take the frames only and put them in the drums this year. 

Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Eric Bosworth:
Interesting. I am foundationless. I just take the wax melt it down and sell it.

rue:
interesting to read your replies- thanks : )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version