Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spraying for weeds  (Read 1519 times)

Offline fadder

• New Bee
Spraying for weeds
« on: July 24, 2018, 02:20:37 am »
My bees are situated at the edge of a field that we just started letting our neighbors cut for hay. It has quite a bit of weeds in it. We had talked about letting him spay it with 24d which would kill the weeds but not the grass. I can't see that it would affect the bees as nothing in the field is blooming.
I am considering this even though I let bugs eat my beans up because I didn't spray them to protect my bees.
I will probably regret this but what are everyones thoughts on this.  :happy:
Some days it aint worth chewing through the restraints.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Spraying for weeds
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:50:27 am »
The stuff that 24D kills is what bees eat...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:02 pm »
If the bees are also bringing in pesticides, the combination of the 2 is extremely deadly to the bees where they might survive each one individually with no problems.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline fadder

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:29:48 pm »
I realize that bees visit these when they are blooming. I guess what I was asking is there
Any reason to believe that it would hurt the bees when it was not blooming and sprayed then.
I also realize that it will be lost to the bees as a food source but it is not that large an area and there's plenty of other sources in the area. I just do not want to hurt the 🐝 in any way. :smile:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 10:10:53 pm »
In the morning when there is dew on the plants, your bees will collect the water and anything on it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:36 pm »
I am sure you have looked at the CDMS for 2-4D  Bee Toxicity: Unknown I personally have had bee kills where I suspect 2-4D as the culprit. If you allow the spray screen your bees... better yet move them a few days. Is there a residual to the pollen---????? Typical half-life is listed as a few day to a few weeks.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/mp4JF008.pdf
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 10:12:40 pm »
In the morning when there is dew on the plants, your bees will collect the water and anything on it.
Jim

Yep.... always late evening spray....
John 3:16

Offline fadder

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 02:01:27 am »
I decided to just not spray at
all, I don't want to take a chance
On hurting my 🐝 s. :grin: Jim

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 10:07:19 am »
Fader, 2-4D is a plant growth hormone.  Does not work well this time of year.  Kills because the plant has uncontrollable growth.  The problem is 2-4D only works when a plant is growing so this is not a good time of year to spray.  In early spring is best time for 2-4D, an amine salt that is a plant growth hormone.

Whatch a plant sprayed with 2-4D, the plant, the top of the plant curls and grows in all directions, uncontrolled growth like a cancer.
Blessings