Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees propolis-ing frames too much  (Read 2433 times)

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
Bees propolis-ing frames too much
« on: July 07, 2018, 05:19:35 pm »
I am not an expert and I may be going crazy but every time I inspect my hives, I clean out any propolis built on the edges of the frames and put them back snag against each other.  Then, the next week, I inspect again and the bees have separated some of the frames, specially the ones near the edges of the boxes, and added propolis between the frames to the extent that it is almost 1/16th of an inch thick.  Then I clean it again, put it back and next week the same things.

The reason why I clean it is because if I don't, I noticed that they will build a lot of brace comb between the frames that are more separated and it makes it impossible to take the frames out without causing some comb damage or even killing some bees.

Why are my bees doing this and is there something I can do to stop them from pushing the frames apart like that?.

Thanks

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Bees propolis-ing frames too much
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:29:04 pm »
Vermont: propolis has many functions, one is bee glue.  The bees will fill in any crack or crevice that otherwise would support mold or mildew or larger parasites such as beetles.  The bees know what they are doing in the hive, we don?t, so let the bees do their job.  I know, I realize the glue can be a pain but there is a far reaching purpose.  Propolis contains antibiotics, anti fungus, antimildew and other purposes we have yet to realize. 

I don?t remove propolis unless I just absolutely have to with an active hive.  I will clean frames when starting a new hive or wintered surplus frames.

Go into any health food, organic store and honeybee propolis is for sale.  Some folks eat propolis for health reasons and swear by it, personaly I do not.
Blessings

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 07:33:36 pm »
I have been saving it.  I think what you are suggesting is very helpful for sure.  Maybe I won't be so worried about them expanding the space between frames. 

Thanks for your comment

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 09:17:29 pm »
I inspect again and the bees have separated some of the frames, specially the ones near the edges of the boxes,
I have never heard of bees doing this but maybe.  Shove all the frames to one wall and pin the last frame or center the frames and pin the two outside frames.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:52:04 pm »
I have never heard of bees doing this but maybe.  Shove all the frames to one wall and pin the last frame or center the frames and pin the two outside frames.

I wonder if it is because I am using metal frame rests and they slide easier?.  I do like your idea.  I will figure something out.

Thanks

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 03:31:28 pm »
I wonder if it is because I am using metal frame rests and they slide easier?.
That could very well be.  Even to the point where if the hive isn't level they will slide on warm days.  I have seen that kind of movement especially in the heavy supers.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:08:06 am »
Vermont - I think I have the same strain of bees as you. I try to leave the propolis alone but after a while it makes inspections difficult. I recently broke down and made a narrow scraper for the edges of the frames so I could keep them together.
My only real complaint is that the propolis gets all over my tools, smoker, phone, etc. It is the main reason why I wear the nitrile gloves vs bare handed.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:45:03 pm »
My only real complaint is that the propolis gets all over my tools, smoker, phone, etc. It is the main reason why I wear the nitrile gloves vs bare handed.

That is part of being a beekeeper and having Italian bees.  You can complain about the propolis, I don't, because bees that propolise everything are healthy.  Some people eat the propolis and make tincture for health reasons.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:55:13 pm »
I inspect again and the bees have separated some of the frames, specially the ones near the edges of the boxes,

Nope-- never heard of bees moving frames.....
John 3:16

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 06:01:07 pm »
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stopscrapingpropolis

"Propolis rarely creates problems for a beekeeper. Certainly any effort to keep a hive free of it by systematic and frequent scraping, is time wasted." --The How-To-Do-It book of Beekeeping, Richard Taylor

"Some beekeepers dismantle every hive and scrape every frame, which is pointless as the bees soon glue everything back the way it was." --The How-To-Do-It book of Beekeeping, Richard Taylor
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 09:35:57 pm »
It?s a blessing and a curse. I?ve had hives tip over without a ratchet strap stick together due to propolis. I?ve never had issues with frames shifting, although no matter what I do there?s propolis. I clean frames/hive bodies in winter deadouts and in the spring. Otherwise I leave it alone.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 12:36:09 pm »
   The bees I have don't push to frames a part.. They do bring in a lot of propolis and Southern Vermont hahaha near Brattleboro...... I'm pretty sure it's from pine trees..... Yes I'm down by the old  Nuclear plant.. Yes bees do glow in the dark in this area  :wink: hahaha.....

BEE HAPPY  Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/