Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feral colony check  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
Feral colony check
« on: March 02, 2020, 11:49:51 pm »
We had temperatures in the 60?s this past weekend and my bees were all flying and bringing in pollen. There are two feral colonies within a few miles of my home so I took a drive to see if they were flying Sunday.

The first is in a large catalpa tree just off of the county road. It?s close enough I can see activity without crossing the fence but I usually use binoculars to check it out. It?s interesting that the bark around the entrance is whiter this year than in past years. I noticed it a couple of years ago. The landowner wasn?t aware of this colony so I?m not sure how long it?s been active.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
Re: Feral colony check
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 11:50:45 pm »
The second colony is in the base of a tree at an old farmstead. The landowner says this one has been active for several years. He still keeps the grass mowed here and sprays around the base of his trees so he doesn?t have to trim up close. The area sprayed around this tree is extra large.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 11:54:36 pm »
Here is another pic of the colony in the base of the tree.

I?d like to find more feral colonies to monitor. Does anyone else have pictures of feral colonies in your area? 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 12:51:39 am »
Wow Kwalt, You know how to find them! Are these locations that you have captured swarms before? If so how far away do you place your traps from these trees. You may have already said so on another topic?  Thanks for posting.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:24:04 am »
Great pic with the solo bee entering the tree.
Great hunting.
I doubt they are 'generational' but definitely consider swarm traps.
Be curious to see if you did a free test at beltsville for the usual culprits.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:07:05 am »
Mr. KWalt, you are kinda new.  Just wanted to say I appreciate your post as you definitely have good experiences with the honeybees thus a wealth of good info.

Great picks of the feral hives, I alway appreciate seeing feral hives, noting the size of the opening and how far off the ground.  My area has so few feral hives as the small hive beetles are horrific here.  In my area, small hive beetle are just as bad if not worse than Varroa.

My nucs are especially targeted.

Health to your bees.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 03:12:57 pm »
Great photos!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 03:16:23 pm »
Kwalt. No I have not seen any feral colonies, but I have started looking of late.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 04:20:15 pm »
Great pictures, especially that closeup of the bee entering the tree.  I'd love to find a bee tree, but I never have. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 09:05:49 pm »
I had time today to check another feral colony. This one didn?t survive the winter. According to the home owner, this colony had been active for at least the three years they have owned the property.

Their hive is quite interesting. It?s in an old furnace.  I tried to take a look in the entrance last year with no gear. I think I only took two stings. Now that it?s empty you can see how they had the entrance reduced with propolis. The cedars don?t look as thick as they did last year so maybe the weather got them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 09:06:32 pm »
Furnace hive

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 09:15:41 pm »
Furnace hive entrance

I have caught swarms near all three of these colonies. I wasn?t there to see the actual swarm so I have no idea of their origin. It?s interesting to note that the swarm caught near the furnace went queenless late in the year and failed to raise a replacement.

Kevin

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 10:22:34 pm »
A friend said he had seen some bee's around a 'Telstra Pit' (local phone lines run underground - inspection pit)
So i said i would come grab them in case the inspector found them - they would get the exterminators in
The concrete lid was *really* heavy to lift off... now i know why!
Looks like these girls have been here for a while, I am bout to build a 'bee vac' and try and safely get them out!
Might create a post of my adventures (if it all works!)

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 10:42:14 pm »
Nice find Ralphee. It seems they just need a cavity and they?ll make it work.

Kevin

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 10:48:20 pm »
Cheers Kwalt,

The photos are a bit rough as i was really suited up for this (was expecting them to not be too happy with me!)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 11:33:42 pm »
Nice find Ralphee. ...

X2 - go get them  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 03:03:03 am »
Still working on building the bee vac.... i have all the parts, just dont have the time!!!
Will post some pics when i do go get them  :wink:

anything