Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Temporarily sealing hive during yard work  (Read 3951 times)

Offline bcsennett

• Brood
Temporarily sealing hive during yard work
« on: October 14, 2019, 03:56:00 pm »
Good afternoon all! Is it ok to temporarily seal a hive for less than 24 hours?  I'm recruiting some friends to help me replace our backyard fence. Part of the fence is near our beehive, and I don't want there to be any issues, so I was hoping I could seal it up until we got the fence replaced in that area.  I'm waiting for cooler temperatures in November to do this so the bees don't get too hot.  Thoughts?  I appreciate your feedback! Thanks

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Temporarily sealing hive during yard work
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 05:15:09 pm »
If you allow as much screened area as you can it will hlep.  A screened door will help even more.  That is something that allows them into a screened area on the front of the hive.  If it's hot, it could be disastrous.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Temporarily sealing hive during yard work
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 06:49:57 pm »
You may want to build one of these.

https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,1420.msg44188/topicseen.html#msg44188

You can put it on now and let them get accustomed to it, then place the moving panel in place on the night before working the yard.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*