Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Under The Dome  (Read 4691 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Under The Dome
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:20:53 am »
I read the book and thought it would translate well into a tv series of mini-series.  i was a bit disappointed by the first episode.  they made changes to the story line that seem to serve no purpose and take away from it if you have read the book.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
Re: Under The Dome
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:15:11 am »
It's coming to Australia in a couple of days! It will be interesting to see what the folk down under think!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:29:30 pm »
I missed the first episode because it was on too late for me, but I plan on watching it once it comes out on DVD

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:41:03 pm »
http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/

i think you can watch the full thing on here if you want.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:00:55 pm »
Thanks Kathy

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:21 pm »
Ok... I'm caught up with Under the Dome and (SPOILER QUESTION BELOW)

So everyone counts down to 1:15pm for MOAB and it happens, but there are things in the dome I don't understand, like the wind blowing heavily and it appears the dome goes out over the water, yet the tides and waves still crash on shore?

If I'm missing something tell me, if it is just continuity stuff that is comically overlooked, I'd like to know that too. Thanks.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:05:47 pm »
Im hooked also... *sigh* ...Not my norm to be tied to a TV show but this ones got me.

I cant explain the waves. I cant explain the wind. But, heck, if I could, I probably wouldnt be waiting on the edge of my seat for the next episode.  :bee:

Im still wondering whos gonna throw the first match in the lake.
Whoof! That things gonna torch!

“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 05:59:38 pm »
Hey Stella, some of us haven't read that  :evil: I guess it was cheaper setting the glass of water on fire in stead - lol.

I am caught up with episodes, I just wondering - how well is Under the Dome doing at following the book - and hows it compare to other King TV mini-series screenplays?

It has gotten better the last 2 episodes, it almost lost me but I hanged in there to present. I've seen worse shows, I thought Langoliers was horrible, but thought the MIST was a really well done adaptation. We've mentioned all the series before, just curious how this rates. Might not be fair not waiting until it is over, but if you spent all that time with the book, you know how it is doing following the story.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 08:27:07 pm »
it kind of follows the idea of the book.  it would have been a great mini-series following the book exactly.  don't know why they chose to go this way because i can't see how they can extend it more than the current season.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:39:29 pm »
It's almost over and NOT finding it a great TV Mini-Series.  I guess they will tie ends up in the next few episodes, but it is really disjointed and sadly I don't care about any of the characters.

I started the book and gave up about 8 hours into listening to the audiobook, I felt like "PLEASE, SOMETHING HAPPEN" and then said enough and waited on the TV SERIES - there's no going back, I can't justify with all the books I have queued to read, taking up Under the Dome again, hoping to see how great a story it is.

People say it is a rip-off of the Simpson's Movie, I say it is a dis-service to the Simpson's Movie. I just have to think KING has better books to make into a great mini-series, or maybe his writer son JOE HILL, who has a ton of stories along the same genre as his dad.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:46:06 pm »
i have the season taped but have not watched since about episode 3.  the book was not bad, but certainly not one of his best.  i hear the Dark Tower series is going to be done in movie form?  if they don't screw it up, that has great potential.  his books only do well in move or mini series when they are followed almost exactly.
the exceptions are series that are loosely based on his books.  Haven comes to mind.  that was pretty good.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:12:01 pm »
That's what I had mentioned about WATCHERS by Dean KOONTZ, only the second film adaptation was any good, because neither the first or third resembled the book in any fashion.

As a series goes, I think this could have been done in 3 nights from 8 to 11pm or at the most been stretched out to a week of nightly shows. Making this a Multi-month project is just a bit too greedy taking up our time.

Then again, for 3 months I'm watching Big Brother - lol. Worse cast ever, just lame, useless and horrible people who you wouldn't spend a minute of your life with unless of course they were coworkers and being paid to deal with their crap.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 12:00:20 pm »
OKAY.... Bite me and call me a wienie - I thought (pretty much knew) Under the Dome to be a Mini-Series, WTH?? So now, I assume it did good in the ratings, the had made a few filler episodes IN CASE it became popular, and now it's returning for season 2?

I feel ripped off, unless I misunderstood how this was to play out - I'm watching last week, waiting to see how it all ends, the dome goes black, it appears to be dissolving and BAM - see you next year.

I don't know if they will or not. I barely kept interest in the beginning, half way through I watched a few episodes back to back and then got they tied me to a tree in the hot sun and put a cold soda just out of my reach until next season - metaphorically speaking of course.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 12:53:15 pm »
i deleted the last few that i had recorded without watching them.  just didn't do it for me.  it might have been good as a mini-series if they'd followed the book, but a seasonal series?  can't see it.  i think they are trying to do with it, what they did with Haven, but Haven didn't pretend to be the book upon which it was loosely based.