Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I caught a swarm! Will it stay??  (Read 6362 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
I caught a swarm! Will it stay??
« on: June 22, 2019, 12:39:31 am »
(I'll try to attach pictures the next post)

I set out a swarm trap about a month ago on a tree I've seen swarms arrive every year for 3 years straight. Today I caught one! I tried to be calm and not rush through it, but I have also seen swarms that have zipped away after a few minutes. I think Got this one tho...

It was bigger than a softball but smaller than a cantaloupe. It was on the bottom of my swarm trap. No bees were inside the trap that had one drawn frame with a store bought vial of swarm attractant. I prepared the new hive with a screened bottom board, entrance reducer, one box with 8 frames a few drawn, some with a little honey and some blank. I sprayed the bees and frames with a little sugar water, and dumped them in. All seems well but an hour later, the tree where I had the swarm trap still had a bunch of bees on the tree and flying around.

I really hope the queen was in the middle of that ball. I really hope I wasn't too fast and moved them before they all got there. I'm new at this as you can tell but will they up and swarm again before morning? The queen isn't the last bee to show up for the swarm party is she? I've heard a lot of captured swarms don't make it.  What's my next move? I'll check them tomorrow night.

Thanks!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
Re: I caught a swarm! Will it stay??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:41:59 am »

When I first saw the swarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 12:43:21 am »

Crazy afraid of heights. The trap is only 8 feet off the ground

Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 12:44:14 am »

I put in as many as I could

Check out my Blog!:

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 12:56:18 am »
Those are probably just bees that still smell the queen pheromone and are going to that spot. Put your hand through it and look for the queen.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 01:26:36 am »
Those are probably just bees that still smell the queen pheromone and are going to that spot. Put your hand through it and look for the queen.

Xerox,
That's what I'm hoping. I set the trap next to the new hive in hopes to draw them over there. 2 hours later there were less of them and it looked like they were going in and out of the hive entrance. I really hope they stay.
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 01:35:34 am »

Xerox,
That's what I'm hoping. I set the trap next to the new hive in hopes to draw them over there. 2 hours later there were less of them and it looked like they were going in and out of the hive entrance. I really hope they stay.

They probably will. It depends on if they like the home you gave them

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 02:02:57 am »

Xerox,

If it was me I would catch the queen and place her in a queen cage or a queen clip.  Place her back in the box with this set up, as you have placed your swarm. I would also add a frame of capped brood with a mixture of honey around the edge of the same frame.  In a couple days all should be secure but just in case, and for added insurance, I would place her in a push cage in the section of the capped brood which has a mixture of capped brood and a bit of honey. Once she starts laying you have hit the home run; just make sure that the bees did not start new queen cells from the capped brood frame, (in the event they thought the queen was handicapped in some way as she was being caged and there was larva young enough)  If so deal with it. Good luck,
Phillip
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:20:07 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 03:32:56 am »
More than likely the bees flying around are the scout bees returning to where the swarm was.  They will eventually find the new hive.  There is a good chance they will stay with the drawn comb in the hive.  If they are still there in a couple of days they will stay.  Like was mentioned if you had some open brood handy, that would almost guarantee them staying.  IMO your next move is a waiting game.  You're waiting for the queen to start laying in the drawn comb to lock them into the hive for good.  I would give them a week or so to get themselves organized before doing any inspection.  After that you might want to consider feeding them.  At least keep an eye on their nectar/honey stores.  Around my neck of the woods the flow has slowed considerably and hives grow very slowly.  Your swarm may need a boost to get them big enough to make it through the winter.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 08:43:47 am »

Xerox,

When should I check them again?
Check out my Blog!:

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 10:58:29 am »
Art,    I think your new hive needs a slide under your screen bottom board, so that your bees will feel more secure, and to make it feel more defensible.
jimmy

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 12:01:35 pm »

Xerox,

If it was me I would catch the queen and place her in a queen cage or a queen clip.   I would place her in a push cage in the section of the capped brood which has a mixture of capped brood and a bit of honey.
Phillip

Phillip,
Thanks for writing back to me. I don't have a queen cage or a push cage. I just looked on line for a DIY push cage I think I can make. I'll order some queen cages. I guess I wasn't prepared as much as I thought but I will place the trap back up. I guess next time I can try this method? I just looked at them from the outside and they look good! Is it ok to open the hive back up tonight? I have a new package bee hive next to this one that I just added a 2nd brood box to last week. I'll see if I have any capped brood but I don't think so. How often have you tried this method? My only skill with the queen is with package bees and installing the queen cage.

Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 12:15:29 pm »
More than likely the bees flying around are the scout bees returning to where the swarm was.  They will eventually find the new hive.  There is a good chance they will stay with the drawn comb in the hive.  If they are still there in a couple of days they will stay.  Like was mentioned if you had some open brood handy, that would almost guarantee them staying.  IMO your next move is a waiting game.  You're waiting for the queen to start laying in the drawn comb to lock them into the hive for good.  I would give them a week or so to get themselves organized before doing any inspection.  After that you might want to consider feeding them.  At least keep an eye on their nectar/honey stores.  Around my neck of the woods the flow has slowed considerably and hives grow very slowly.  Your swarm may need a boost to get them big enough to make it through the winter.

CAO,
How have you been?
I was hoping those were stragglers. This morning, there were only 4. The new hive is only about 30 feet away. I'm excited to see them going in and out of the hive. Remember last year I tried and slipped and dropped the branch with the swarm? This is the closets I've ever come. I might have some open brood in the new package install next to it.  I'm a little nervous about that...I'll wait a week and open it up. I do have a feeder to use. I have a buddy here in Michigan who is doing well.  I'll ask him about the flow. Somebody told me to treat swarms for varomites. Do you agree?

Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 12:18:49 pm »
Art,    I think your new hive needs a slide under your screen bottom board, so that your bees will feel more secure, and to make it feel more defensible.

Hey Jimmy,
Tell me what that is. I have a cardboard piece that has letters and squares that I slid under the screen. I think it's used to count mites per section? Is this what you are talking about? If not, describe how I can make one.
Thanks!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 12:25:43 pm »
So I checked them this morning and they are flying in and out. I'm pretty darn happy! I'll wait about a week and inspect them and possibly start feeding them. I was told to treat all swarms for Varroa mites. I have some strips to use. Should I place them in at a week?
Regards,
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 01:07:06 pm »
So I checked them this morning and they are flying in and out. I'm pretty darn happy! I'll wait about a week and inspect them and possibly start feeding them. I was told to treat all swarms for Varroa mites. I have some strips to use. Should I place them in at a week?
Regards,
Art

Yes treat the hive in a week. Also I recommend adding some brood to increase the chances of them staying because usually bees wont leave brood behind

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 01:29:36 pm »
Regards,
Art

Yes treat the hive in a week. Also I recommend adding some brood to increase the chances of them staying because usually bees wont leave brood behind

Ok, thanks again!
Check out my Blog!:

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 03:02:23 pm »
I'd be careful of treatment to soon. With swarm that small small , let'em get more established and make sure it's a secured hive. Meaning bee's are OK with new home.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 03:07:13 pm »
Also if you're in a dearth , no netar coming in close entrance reducer down to small opening and add top feeder so they can draw new frames. Just my thoughts.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 03:44:05 pm »
A small entrance (1/4 or little bigger hole)  on the bottom often works for  a situation like yours. I have drilled the hole while they were hanging there.  Odds are they will stay. I like to requeen after they are settled in (no rush) . I give them a queen. Takes to long for them to make one. Agree a frame of brood helps lock them in and gives them a jump start.

anything