Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Virgin Queen? -Questions  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Virgin Queen? -Questions
« on: June 21, 2019, 02:20:01 pm »
This morning i went to refill the sugar syrup on my new hive when i saw a live bee being pulled out of the other hive. It got me wondering why they would pull a live bee out. I picked it up and it was walking around fine. It looked a lot like a virgin queen to me so I grabbed a queen cage and brought it inside. It started shaking and looked like it was having a seizure. I fed it some honey and it drank a little but soon started not moving. Its wings were torn a little so I think some of the queen cells inside the hive hatched and they battled it out and this one lost. Is this correct? If so, should i look in the hive for a virgin queen? If so, should I destroy other queen cells?
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Virgin Queen? -Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:54:17 pm »
You are probably correct, it is probably one of the queens that was not selected. I would put my ear to that hive and listen to it every day for the next couple of days. If they are removing that one there is a good chance they will did the same for the rest. If you hear queens piping I would take it apart and collect the rest of the queens and put one back.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:59:34 pm »
You are probably correct, it is probably one of the queens that was not selected. I would put my ear to that hive and listen to it every day for the next couple of days. If they are removing that one there is a good chance they will did the same for the rest. If you hear queens piping I would take it apart and collect the rest of the queens and put one back.
Jim Altmiller

I didn't hear any piping. Also operation refill feeder failed. Bees are mad today

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 05:19:22 pm »
Jim Altmiller

I saw them cart out another one and she looked in much better shape than the one that died. I caged her but she has a tattered wing. Will I be able to make a new hive with her? Can she still mate?

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 05:39:45 pm »
What does piping sound like?  Are you going to take give apart and look for the other Queens?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 06:14:52 pm »
Piping is a long high frequency beep followed be 2 or 3 short beeps.
Sounds like Beeeeeeeeep beep beep beep.
You don?t need to take the hive apart if you keep seeing queens being removed and no piping. As a matter of fact with no piping I would not inspect that hive for at least 2 weeks to let the new queen get established. Inspections kill new queens. I would continue to monitor for piping.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 06:30:11 pm »
Piping is a long high frequency beep followed be 2 or 3 short beeps.
Sounds like Beeeeeeeeep beep beep beep.
You don?t need to take the hive apart if you keep seeing queens being removed and no piping. As a matter of fact with no piping I would not inspect that hive for at least 2 weeks to let the new queen get established. Inspections kill new queens. I would continue to monitor for piping.
Jim Altmiller

Okay. I will add a honey super on Sunday to give them space and inspect the new hive Sunday as well and inspect the old hive on the 3rd

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 06:31:20 pm »
I would not inspect that hive for at least 2 weeks to let the new queen get established. Inspections kill new queens. I would continue to monitor for piping.
Jim Altmiller

Great advice, Jim.  Xerox, Virgin queens startle easy.  Take Jim?s advice, leave alone for a while.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 06:48:53 pm »
I would not inspect that hive for at least 2 weeks to let the new queen get established. Inspections kill new queens. I would continue to monitor for piping.
Jim Altmiller

Great advice, Jim.  Xerox, Virgin queens startle easy.  Take Jim?s advice, leave alone for a while.

Okay. I wasn't going to inspect in a while anyways

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 09:37:06 pm »
What does piping sound like?  Are you going to take give apart and look for the other Queens?

[youtube]AYecvVhkpKI[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/cgSJg3oa4FE
Tom

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 10:19:18 pm »
Its funny because all of the other bees freeze in place when she is doing it

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 11:07:35 pm »
Great video. Thanks for posting.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 01:54:39 am »
Update: I had a quick peek into the hive while getting a frame of drawn comb because the queen ran out of space in the split and I had a quick peek at the queen cells and they were still there. I do not think a queen has hatched yet. I think those bees they were bringing out were some kind of mutant bees that didn't develop properly. Still awaiting a queen I guess. I found more queen cells inside the split with the queen in it. I put them inside the hive i split away from. Was this a good idea? I was in a rush and there were bees everywhere and I had to make quick decisions.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 02:08:21 am »
I think those bees had chronic paralysis virus and therefor I thought they were queens due to the bald thorax queens usually have. Is this a problem I should be addressing?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 11:16:48 am »
Xerox,
If you took all of the queen cells from the hive with a queen, unless you saw the queen and you know she is a good queen, I would put a queen cell or 2 back in that hive. While making splits, it is very possible the queen went airborne and did not find her way back or she went to the other hive. I had that happen to me this year.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 12:36:43 pm »
Xerox,
If you took all of the queen cells from the hive with a queen, unless you saw the queen and you know she is a good queen, I would put a queen cell or 2 back in that hive. While making splits, it is very possible the queen went airborne and did not find her way back or she went to the other hive. I had that happen to me this year.
Jim Altmiller

I saw the queen in the hive. I think she was running out of space because I fed them and they brought it down and filled all the spaces so she had the instinct to swarm again. I gave her a partially empty frame and stopped feeding.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 03:40:22 pm »
Xerox,
Jim Altmiller

What should I do about the CBPV? Is there any treatments?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 04:42:30 pm »
How many bees are showing signs of it. I?m not you even sure have a problem. Do nothing.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 07:22:45 pm »
CBPV is a virus, and there is no treatment for the disease.  It usually runs it's course and then disappears.  It may reappear the following spring or it may not.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 01:54:07 am »
How many bees are showing signs of it. I?m not you even sure have a problem. Do nothing.
Jim Altmiller

I see about one every five minutes being pulled out of the hive which I think is a good thing they are being hygienic about it. I think it will not be a major problem.