Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Freezing Tomatoes?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Freezing Tomatoes?
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:21:31 am »
Has anyone ever froze tomatoes? What was the results? We sliced some up, put them on a cookie pan stuck them in the freezer. Next we will remove and put them in a freezer bag. We did sliced and whole.

From what we've read they will be mushy. If they taste real good I'm okay with mushy. We normally pressure can ours.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Freezing Tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:09:04 pm »
I have but I stew them a bit first and vacuum seal.  I use them in any recipe that calls for stewed tomatoes, like spaghetti sauce.  I also dry them, but they don't last as long unless I vacuum seal them and freeze them.

I have never tried just freezing them, but if you can keep them from getting freezer burned, they should be fine for cooking. 

A good vacuum sealer is worth it for keeping things longer.  Costco has a nice one.  This is one item I would not skimp on quality.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 04:00:38 pm »
My mom froze everything. With tomatoes she would blanched the skins off then dice to med size. Drain them a little then spread on cookie sheet and flash chill them then vacuum bag or can vac. And keep in freezer. They were only good for six nine months.  If she wanted longer storage she pressure canned then just store in pantry .

She removed skins because she said that the skins even washed would degrade the flavor or co

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:14:59 pm »
I did it both ways, cooking them and putting them through a Foley mill to remove the skins and seeds and putting in freezer bags and just quartering them and putting in a freezer bag and freezing. Quartering them is a lot less work and I thought for chile and baked beans they worked well. There is never any freezer burn because there is always plenty of juice. I usually add a little bit of sugar to taste when I cook with them.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 04:39:15 pm »
We hardly ever can them.  Most times we blanch, skin and freeze whole.  I have never tried slicing them after freezing but would think it would be better then not having tomatos.  We use them mostly for chilli and soups.  Been doing it that way for 30 years.  I think they may be a bit more sour tasting then the canned ones but I have never had a complaint about the finished product when using them from frozen.
gww

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 09:18:35 am »
Most times we blanch, skin and freeze whole.  I have never tried slicing them after freezing but would think it would be better then not having tomatoes.  Been doing it that way for 30 years.  I think they may be a bit more sour tasting
gww

I just slice the raw tomato and put it in freezer bags, when they are sliced they take up a lot less space in your freezer.
About 2-3 teaspoons of sugar per quart(to taste) of tomatoes helps with the acidity and sourness.