Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeygate malfunction  (Read 2347 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Honeygate malfunction
« on: April 19, 2018, 01:41:52 am »
One of my honeygates isn't sealed and is dripping honey. The bolt to the right side won't tighten anymore, it just spins around forever. It looks tight enough though, the left part of the gate seems to be the loose part. I can't tighten that screw though, even when using a spanner to hold down the back, and a power tool to screw it down tighter.

I'm not sure what to do. I checked to see if there was any gunk behind it, getting in the way of tightly sealing and there isn't. I'm left to wonder if it's damaged and whether I need to just discard it, or whether I can some how tighten it so that it won't leak honey.

Anyone have any feedback?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Honeygate malfunction
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:23:49 am »
The one on the left is too tight. Loosen it and only tighten it finger tight or a tiny bit more.

The one on the right, the threads are stripped. If the bolt threads are stripped, a new bolt is needed. If the gate threads are stripped. a new gate is needed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:38:37 am »
Photos are important here.  There are a lot of honey gate designs.  I have a plastic one with an embedded O-ring.  If the gate was moved dry it could have sheered a piece of the O-ring and will always leak.  You could have a bad screw, missing a washer, washer in the wrong place, any number of issues.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:18:50 pm »
It looks like it's missing an O-ring. Interesting about them being stripped, I'll see if I can replace the bolts.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:26:25 pm »
Only the right bolt, and then only if the threads are gone. If the threads in the gate are gone, the gate must be replaced. You should be able to look at them. One of them will be flat and the other will have very visible threads.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:27:19 am »
If the threads in the gate are stripped, you can get a bolt one size larger and buy a tapping tool and cut new threads. I just did this to fix a pressure washer for a friend.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 06:01:11 am »
Jim, you can buy a plastic honey gate cheaper than a tapping tool.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 08:40:17 am »
Jim, you can buy a plastic honey gate cheaper than a tapping tool.
What fun is that?  If the gate is plastic you can warm the thread to near melting point and just thread it in and let it cool.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it