Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Wales!  (Read 2829 times)

Offline RobVincent

• New Bee
Hello from Wales!
« on: June 13, 2020, 07:17:29 am »
Hi, I am a new beekeeper living in Wales, Uk it's already becoming all consuming and I've only just started. I'm looking forward to plumbing the depths of knowledge available here!

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Offline RobVincent

• New Bee
Re: Hello from Wales!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 07:56:41 am »
A bit more detail then..

My wife bought me my first (and currently only) hive 3 years ago and I finally have some bee's in it. Under the supervision of a local friend who is a former beekeeper I managed to attract a swarm 2 weeks ago, there's are small, dark and beautiful. They appear healthy and docile and we estimate there's around 10k. They have built some wild comb before I put the foundation into the frames so the current mission is to build the colony numbers and encourage them onto the frames with foundation on them. I have filled the brood box with frames of foundation now and am feeding fondant to help build numbers as the weather has been a bit wet and windy this week.

Any and all advice is welcome, I will post an update next time I go up to feed them.

Thanks,

Rob

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 11:39:35 am »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 01:29:53 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Catching a swarm is a good way to start. You know they are local that way.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RobVincent

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 02:36:29 pm »
@cao @sawdstmakr thanks!

Yes we believe we know the provenance of the swarm aswell which is an unmanaged colony in a local church which swarms every year and seems to do well without any human intervention so hopefully that bodes well!

Upon the first inspection (10 days after they arrived in a bait hive with frames but no foundation) they had built out some comb in the front of the box rather than in the centre as I expected. Have you seen that before or is it a cause for any concern?

Thanks!

Rob

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 10:06:41 pm »
Hi, I am a new beekeeper living in Wales, Uk it's already becoming all consuming and I've only just started. I'm looking forward to plumbing the depths of knowledge available here!

Plumb away and welcome Rob
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 10:36:01 pm »
Upon the first inspection (10 days after they arrived in a bait hive with frames but no foundation) they had built out some comb in the front of the box rather than in the centre as I expected. Have you seen that before or is it a cause for any concern?
Welcome to the forum!  Just to clarify, you are saying that they built comb perpendicular to the frames?  Since there was no foundation in the box, that would be considered normal.  The bees don't know the frames are going a certain direction, all they see is a big empty space to fill up however they please.  :happy:  Do your frames have some sort of starter strip on the top bars to help guide their comb building? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 11:37:23 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline RobVincent

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 09:46:14 am »
Hi @Ben Framed @CoolBees @The15thMember thanks so much for the warm welcome, it's a lovely community you've all built here!

The bees are in orientation with the frames which is great since I didn't have any wax starter in there. it was mainly the fact that the cluster had chosen to start building right at the front of the box directly over their entrance rather than in the middle as I had expected. It shouldn't matter once the numbers have built up enough I was just curious if it was a signifier of anything?

Thanks,

Rob

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 01:50:31 pm »
The bees are in orientation with the frames which is great since I didn't have any wax starter in there. it was mainly the fact that the cluster had chosen to start building right at the front of the box directly over their entrance rather than in the middle as I had expected. It shouldn't matter once the numbers have built up enough I was just curious if it was a signifier of anything?
Not to my knowledge.  I run all foundationless frames, and sometimes they start in the middle, sometimes at an end, sometimes they start in two spots at one time.  As long as it's straight, you've got nothing to worry about.  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline RobVincent

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 04:23:30 pm »
@The15thMember thanks, that's good to know, I figured it would be ok but from what I've read there's a degree of subtlety regarding signs of sickness so I thought it was worth an ask!

I've been reading the forum and learning my way around a bit but I keep finding I can't see pic's on posts? There is an Icon but says I am unable to view attachments? Anyone seen this before? Is there a time limit for how long pics stay up in old threads? I will do some research but if anyone's come across it before i'd be interested to hear if there's a fix. Would love to see the accompanying pics for the threads!

Thanks

Rob

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 04:57:02 pm »
I've been reading the forum and learning my way around a bit but I keep finding I can't see pic's on posts? There is an Icon but says I am unable to view attachments? Anyone seen this before? Is there a time limit for how long pics stay up in old threads? I will do some research but if anyone's come across it before i'd be interested to hear if there's a fix. Would love to see the accompanying pics for the threads!
Are you having trouble with all posts, or only really old ones?  I can't see attachments from like 2007 and earlier on certain threads, but anything from the past couple of years should still be there. 

Offline RobVincent

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 06:16:30 pm »
@The15thMember

I can't work out what the constant is, I don't think it's date as although I can't see your "birthday boxes" pics  in the gallery section I can see the bait hives in the thread below even though that is also recent. i've looked on my PC aswell and it seems to be the same on that so I don't think it's Tapatalk or the mobile. Weird.

Emojis aren't appearing on mobile either but they do work on the desktop, I will get onto Tapatalk about it and see if there's a fix!

Thanks

Rob

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 07:01:48 pm »
@The15thMember

I can't work out what the constant is, I don't think it's date as although I can't see your "birthday boxes" pics  in the gallery section I can see the bait hives in the thread below even though that is also recent. i've looked on my PC aswell and it seems to be the same on that so I don't think it's Tapatalk or the mobile. Weird.

Emojis aren't appearing on mobile either but they do work on the desktop, I will get onto Tapatalk about it and see if there's a fix!

Thanks

Rob

Oh no, you are missing out on all my awesome painted boxes!  :shocked:  :cheesy:  If you post your issue under the tech support forum, I'm sure someone could help you out. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 08:00:19 pm »
Rob,
Usually it is because the pictures that were posted on another site, as were most in the past, are no longer available on that site. The site went away, fees were not kept up or the site decided they needed the memory.  Sometimes there are sites that I can?t see but others can, this is some sort of lockout. You should bee able to see all pictures that are posted directly to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RobVincent

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 08:19:52 am »
Thanks Jim, Member,

it seems to have been a tapatalk problem, if i use the PC and log in properly i can see most pictures, I think I had got timed out and not realised before and was viewing the forum as a guest. I'll just stop using tapatalk.

Unfortunately the bees have built a lot of burr comb out where they started out on the foundationless frames. the combs were being built off the sides of the top bars and werent hanging beneath them, one frame had two combs being built off it and the combs and frames were not lining up well at all. There were about 4 frames joined together with burr . I tidied up today but a couple of the combs fell out of frames. i managed to save all the brood comb by elastic banding it into frames. they are surrounded by frames of undrawn foundation so hopefully they will start to build a bit straighter now. I hope i haven't knocked them back too much but it was all getting knotted up really quickly and i was worried it was only going to get worse the longer i left it. I'm feeding fondant and theres a good flow at the moment so they should bounce back ok! fingers crossed.
Rob

anything