Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extended warranty on lap top up/ should i renew?  (Read 4724 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
extended warranty on lap top up/ should i renew?
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:38:41 pm »
2007 i bought a $1000 hp laptop with a extended warranty that is up next week. they offered me an additional 3 years for $318.00 . its been back about 8 x. usb ports, screen went bad, hinges broke stuff like that. do you think its worth it to renew or if it breaks again but a new one? my son was saying they are reasonably priced now!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: extended warranty on lap top up/ should i renew?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 05:47:22 pm »
2007 i bought a $1000 hp laptop with a extended warranty that is up next week. they offered me an additional 3 years for $318.00 . its been back about 8 x. usb ports, screen went bad, hinges broke stuff like that. do you think its worth it to renew or if it breaks again but a new one? my son was saying they are reasonably priced now!

At is 5 YEARS OLD give up Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:58:27 pm »
$400 will get you a brand new lap top, with a new battery (which I am sure yours is worn out like mine), and twice the horse power on everything.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:36:08 pm »
i agree.  for a little more than the renew price you can buy a better and faster laptop.  next time it breaks, replace. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 06:58:59 pm »
I agree with the others.......don't buy a new warranty.  Typically you are going to get 4-6 years out of a computer.  By then the technology has changed so much that it isn't worth repairing. 

Like you, I buy an extended warranty when I purchase a new computer and that gives me 3-4 years of coverage.  After that point, I keep my fingers crossed and when things start going wrong --or it dies, I get a new one.

One thing I did learn the hard way many years ago.  Always, always, always have at least one and optimally two backups of your hard drive.   I lost everything once and for weeks was weeping with frustration at my stupidity.  I teach and all my lessons, grades and research vaporized.  I have never made that mistake again!

Good luck

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 07:16:03 pm »
good point.  a large backup drive is pretty cheap to by and priceless when you brick your computer!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:22:42 pm »
Be aware that a "new" PC will come with Windows 7, and none of your existing software will run on it.  But it will take you to the "cloud".

Have fun!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:42:59 pm »
oh, lots of your older stuff will still run on windows 7.  sometimes if it's really old you have to run it in compatibility mode.  probably nothing much before XP, but that and Vista stuff should run fine.

anything