Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any body jumping to Windows 10?  (Read 14239 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Any body jumping to Windows 10?
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:13:00 pm »
I had an extra hardrive and have been beta testing windows 10. I like the operating system but will mind that it is not a very good operating system for those that have any privacy concerns.
In the fine print microsoft desires to keep even data from private folders backed up on their servers.And make them available to any government agency that asks. Not sure how this works if you encrypt your data,as MS likely keeps the keys for their encryption software.
If you install windows 10,don't use the "express" settings. Use custom settings to be able to turn off some of the features you may not like. Such as the option that shares your wifi login to anyone in your contact list. Scarey thought huh! This exploit may make it also available to anyone in their contact list as well.

Be aware that facebook wishes to be able to do this as well.
  Although I will use the Windows for web surfing and benign stuff, Any banking or personal things will be done with the Linux drive plugged in. I will not even let both drives plugged in for the dual boot option,just in case.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Any body jumping to Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:18:00 pm »

Real happy with Linux Mint 17 Ken, no problems with the bare bones O/S. Trying hard to learn to operate using terminal commands etc. but am making progress. Our last session with Linux at our U3A meet did a quick review of Windows 10 but it was marked down by everyone.
  For anyone curious as to what U3A is here is a link to our local group      http://www.lvu3a.org.au/
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:49 pm »
I like the Linux mint too Geoff. I just like keeping up with the windows os as we use it at work and such. It is mostly linux and android for personal use.
  Windows now acts much like the android the way it wants to back up everything automatically and they are  migrating towards "apps" even though thats all programs really were.

On another note Geoff, how well does skype work withn Linux? and did you use the wine program to use skype?

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:37:07 pm »
One of my guys loaded it up, but i haven't looked at it yet.  Somehow it feels like i, Robot (the movie not the Roomba); a free upgrade that will solve all your problems and then take over the world.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:05:57 pm »
    Sorry I missed your post of 08/06/15 Ken.  Skype puts up a Linux version these days and works well.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 11:59:43 am »
I'm much more interested in Linux than Windows 10, or Windows 8... I will run Windows 7 until Microsoft refuses to support it and then I might keep using it anyway...

My only issue with Linux has been a lack of hardware drivers and an easy way to upgrade everything that continues to work for more than a year or two.  My Asus used to manage it ok but then they stopped supporting it... :(
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:27:47 pm »
I had an extra hardrive and have been beta testing windows 10. I like the operating system but will mind that it is not a very good operating system for those that have any privacy concerns.
In the fine print microsoft desires to keep even data from private folders backed up on their servers.And make them available to any government agency that asks. Not sure how this works if you encrypt your data,as MS likely keeps the keys for their encryption software.

Check PGP. The feds hate it and it's creator, so it must be good :wink:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:21 pm »
I found it surprising that they gave me full license of Windows 10 pro after beta testing as this was a formatted drive with no licensed copy of windows 7 or 8  on it.. I like the Linux Mint I have been using but will keep the windows drive for times I have compatability issues. In less than a minute the drives are switched and rebooted.
Linux has been pretty good at recognizing any hardware items I've had hooked up. It Actually found my wireless printer on my LAN easier than any of the windows.
  One thing I found disturbing when windows was going from beta to full version, it asked if I wanted other computers on my lan to be able to store different parts of the download for full version if this pc was offline for any reason. It never asked for permission from the other PC s. I wonder what esle they may be doing?

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 10:43:36 am »
That's one of the big beefs with 10 out on the forums....its a security black hole...not necessarily for the rest of the world but Microsoft reportedly has access to any and all data you keep locally during the upgrade process and updates. Here is a link to their replies to the concerns but its too "Big Brother" for me. I will resist using  it until forced to for work and there is no migration plan out there at the moment ;-)

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2956773/emerging-technology/microsoft-responds-to-windows-10-privacy-policy-concerns.html
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 05:00:37 pm »
Not sure what all the fuss is about.
After all it is a Microsoft product, which means it will never work properly anyway :cool:
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 05:00:29 pm »
I put Windows 10 on my wife's laptop.  It lasted about 15 days and after fixing a glitch ever day, I reverted to Windows 7.  It would freeze up and a message would say there was a critical error in the shell infrastructure host.  The only remedy was clicking ctrl+alt+del, file magager, check safe mode, restart, repeat ctrl+alt+del, uncheck safe mode, restart ( leaving out a few steps there, but that's the important part).   
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 06:51:24 pm »
Dallasbeek,
There has been talk that motherboard drivers may need updating to let Windows 10 work better. On another note, I hear that the latest win 7 and 8 security updates gives microsoft the same level of access to your files as they do in windows 10.
  Not that I'm hiding anything, but when back doors are there,anyone can enter with the proper know how. Bacjk doors are security leaks.
 I use Linux predominantly for my computer useage, but pop in Windows just to stay familiar with it.
I have not done any monetary or private discussions  while using the new windows. And I don't use it where any security is needed for my accounts.
 When installing 10 you can turn off a lot of what goes to MS but I'm betting there is background stuff you can't that you wish you could.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 08:27:45 pm »
Ken,

When I was installing 10,I turned off almost everything that could be turned off and my wife asked what was the point of installing 10 if I was turning it all off.   Anyway, she's happy now that she's back on 7.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 02:02:55 am »
Ken,
That is why I no longer do the updates. You never know what they are adding to your computer.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 11:51:09 am »
You have to wonder when they have to give away their new operating system to get people to take it... and then REQUIRE them to get automatic updates that may break the system with no notice and no way to stop it.  I have computers that aren't even on the internet.  What happens to those when they can't get autoupdates?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 02:21:03 pm »
You have to wonder when they have to give away their new operating system to get people to take it... and then REQUIRE them to get automatic updates that may break the system with no notice and no way to stop it.  I have computers that aren't even on the internet.  What happens to those when they can't get autoupdates?

The updates are mostly to protect your computers from all the bad stuff that's on the internet, so you should put them on the internet so Microsoft can protect you.  Yeah, that makes sense :cool:

Offline jet09

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 05:19:49 pm »
I have installed it on my media center PC. So far haven't had any issues. I do have to say that I don't like how it search your whole network for music, movies, etc. without asking you about it.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 08:44:50 pm »
I have heard media center goes away in Windows 10. Have not looked for it yet though. Next time I plug in the windows drive I'll have to check it out.

Offline jet09

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 10:41:23 pm »
I have heard media center goes away in Windows 10. Have not looked for it yet though. Next time I plug in the windows drive I'll have to check it out.

Yes it does go away  :angry:. I have to use XBMC. Which is great except for TV channel guide. Might downgrade to 7 for that!

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 06:16:51 pm »
I did and it broke
went to Ubuntu  or linx still going today

I have left Microsoft for good