Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wintering nucs  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Wintering nucs
« on: August 18, 2023, 06:58:43 pm »
So I did a trap out earlier this year,  just picked it up a couple weeks ago in fact.  Decent little colony it seems. The gentleman called me up around noon and said he had a swarm flying around so I told him I'd stop by. It's a very small swarm, few hundred bees at best, and I realize the odds are against them. Question I'm wondering is if I give them a frame of larvae and eggs and feed in a3 frame nuc or combine them. I'm leaning towards the 3 frame, it might work it might not.

Any thoughts, insights, experiences anyone is willing to share would be appreciated.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wintering nucs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 07:52:41 pm »
Occam,
If you don?t mind feeding them for the next three months and really need another hive, go ahead and make up a three frame hive with empty frames for them to grow. You can learn a lot doing it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 08:40:49 pm »
I've never wintered nucs, so no advice to offer there, but I do just want to mention that if you do decide to combine them, be sure to check their mite load beforehand and make sure they are healthy.  A small swarm this late could be an abscond, and you wouldn't want to inject a healthy hive with a bunch of sick, parasite-ridden bees right before winter. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 12:18:58 am »
Right on, thanks!

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 11:29:34 am »
It's a very small swarm, few hundred bees at best, and I realize the odds are against them.
Unfortunately a few hundred bees of varying ages will not be able to care for a frame of eggs and brood.  Doing a mite test which requires 300 bees would pretty much finish them.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 02:37:19 pm »
It's a very small swarm, few hundred bees at best, and I realize the odds are against them.
Unfortunately a few hundred bees of varying ages will not be able to care for a frame of eggs and brood.  Doing a mite test which requires 300 bees would pretty much finish them.

Occam do you have a frame of mixed larva, honey, and pollen to give to them for an boosting asset, along with the nurse bees which are on it?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 02:18:02 pm »
you said a swarm? Which should have a queen and need nothing more than a nectar and pollen frame, or perhaps a frame of capped brood, easy for them to care for and good for beefing up the population, then giving her some laying room.
Or is it a trap out with no queen, because she never came out? That's very different.

I don't know about Oklahoma, but five frame nucs overwinter fine in middle Georgia.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 09:43:52 pm »
Geez, makes me realize how longbi was offline. Life has a way of keeping you busy.  Anyhow...yes Bob, there was a queen. I put themnin my nuc box with some sugar syrup. Noticed bees flying in and out for about a week then everything went still. Opened the nuc and there were a few bees wandering but they had the "guilty robber" type actions, not "hey you're intruding activity. Sadly I think they must have taken off petty much right away since there was no sign of having tried to lay, build comb, or add resources and I think done bees from another hive or boxes robbed or the feeder

anything