Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beehive boxes don't sit perfect on top of each other. Am I overthinking?  (Read 3714 times)

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
Hi

I have purchased boxes from three different locations and found that mann lake boxes appear to be the best when it comes to fit.  However, even their boxes, when assembled, don't sit 100% flush on top of others.  I can make them perfectly square but to make them sit completely flush on top of another will require that I shave off a little bit.

How important is it to have them sit completely flush?.  I can't believe that most commercial beekeepers would go through the trouble of shaving side panels to make them sit completely flush.  However, it bothers me that they don't sit flush.  Am I overthinking this?

Thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Vermont,
It depends on how much of a gap is there. If it is less than 1/16? I would not worry about it.
You can put a piece of blue tape around the edge to seal it
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
For forum interest only I attach a recent "for sale" I had a smile at.
Priced at a mere $500 each for four of, Aussie dollars.
The smile quickly disappeared when they sold in hours.
Note the mismatch config.

Bill

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Gaps are why bees invented propolis. If bees don't like it they will fix it.
If the gaps are big enough for bees to get in and out of then do something.
Also I have found that supers that are a bit wonky when new tend to settle in when clipped down and with the weight of honey, plus a bit of propolis.
Chill for a while.

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee

Bill

Wow! What part of the country were they? You must have some old boxes lying around you could turn into serious coin if they are up your way. I look at the prices they are charging for native bees and wonder how they do it. Found a native hive in one of the shed posts, thought about selling it but then the shed would fall down. :smile:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee

Bill

Wow! What part of the country were they? You must have some old boxes lying around you could turn into serious coin if they are up your way. I look at the prices they are charging for native bees and wonder how they do it. Found a native hive in one of the shed posts, thought about selling it but then the shed would fall down. :smile:

From recall Mark..?...down your way, out on the western plains.
I muttered "yer dreamin'"buuuut next thing they went off GT, sold.
When folks will shell out a solid wedge of 1200 for garden furniture
(no bees included) you gotta wonder, eh?

The natives?
I'm yer man, years of experience with them, well, more than 10 ;-))
Truly the blokes flogging these today are having a lend.
There is actually a big promo piece on Gardening Australia
 tonight, repeated Sunday.
PM me on the Tets and maybe we can do a replication, no need to
to take the post out... yer sitting on gold nuggets there fella, well
IF you can break into a clicky marketplace. Big egos, real big in
 that crowd, like. :-)))))

Bill

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee

Bill

From recall Mark..?...down your way, out on the western plains.
I muttered "yer dreamin'"buuuut next thing they went off GT, sold.
When folks will shell out a solid wedge of 1200 for garden furniture
(no bees included) you gotta wonder, eh?

The natives?
I'm yer man, years of experience with them, well, more than 10 ;-))
Truly the blokes flogging these today are having a lend.
There is actually a big promo piece on Gardening Australia
 tonight, repeated Sunday.
PM me on the Tets and maybe we can do a replication, no need to
to take the post out... yer sitting on gold nuggets there fella, well
IF you can break into a clicky marketplace. Big egos, real big in
 that crowd, like. :-)))))

Bill
Yep amazing prices. The natives seem to be a "trendy " thing at the moment I have zero knowledge of them so any and all advice appreciated. Had a call from father in law about the ABC tonite but I need to go back to Hospital, partner having surgery. And I won't go into the drama I've had tonite with medical team. Will PM you over weekend to get off my chest. I am so angry but am trying to remain calm. catchya later. Cheers Mark

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
I can make them perfectly square but to make them sit completely flush on top of another will require that I shave off a little bit.
Are you saying the finger joints are miss matched or the box is twisted?  The time to make adjustments is during assembly.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
I would shave them down for a better fit just so there isn't any problems down the road. I always have a wood plane handy when I build boxes just to even them up if needed. Some of the economy grade wood ware needs a bit of TLC to square up.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
and sometimes they just need a bigger hammer :)
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
I can make them perfectly square but to make them sit completely flush on top of another will require that I shave off a little bit.
Are you saying the finger joints are miss matched or the box is twisted?  The time to make adjustments is during assembly.
Kind off.  Regardless of the vendor, and I used 3 vendors, when you put the boxes together, one or more of the panels will not sit flush 100%.  The difference can be 1/16th.  This does not mean that the box is not square.  I have tools that can force the box squared.  What I cannot do is force the location of the fingers up or down to make all sides be flushed with each other.

It sounds like I should not worry so much.  I can use tie downs to force the boxes closer to each other.  It is just a little annoying that regardless of the vendor, there are issues with the boxes.  But as "Oldbeavo" put it, chill for a while.  Therefore I am chilling  :cool:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
A 1/16 of an inch I would have issue with and the parts would go back to the supplier.  But I have always purchased top grade boxes.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Some of my ML nuc boxes never sit flush on top of one another.  I think it has something to do with the machine that
cut out these boards.   As long as the bees don't get out the crack I don't care that much.   Over time they
will propolized these small cracks so it is a perfect fit to me.   Frankly, the bees don't really care!

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
After inspecting the hives today, I put straps.  Straps took care of the gaps.

Thanks

Offline cao

• Super Bee
I had a couple boxes that I was worried about because they were twisted and would rock back and forth when sitting on the hive.  I used some blue painters tape to cover the gap. A week later, I took the tape off because the box was sitting flat.  I think the warmth and humidity in the hive along with the couple of bricks on top allowed the twisted box to comform to the box under it. 

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
I had some that wouldn't sit flush last year, and straps fixed that. This was Mann Lake assembled hivs.

But this year's boxes I assembled and glued boxes from Kelley, and they don't sit flush. I am doubting the strap is going to do it this time, because they are glued and nailed. (Maybe next time I won't glue, for this reason.) But I am going to shave them a little to make themflush.

Greg

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Maybe next time I won't glue, for this reason.

For boxes I think you should loosen up the finger joints and glue.  Work off a flat surface.  I use a scrap piece of formica counter top.  I think it is better to gap fill then shave off.  Comb between top and bottom bars is better than propolise.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Much of what has been put here can be simplified by user choice.
Buy in lots from single runs.
Use jigs suited to the run.
Use a uniform fixing method.
Mark and log your builds.

A special mention for mismatching.
Wherever a mismatch is installed always focus on maintaining
beespace over convienience of asthetics or even structural
integrity, as some point out anything pretty much can be stabilised
with a brick or strap.

And bees do not care how the structure presents provided
it can maintain 25Celcius during Expansion and does not fall
below 0(zero)Celcius  in Survival... with water staying where it