Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Sting Reactions  (Read 5345 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Bee Sting Reactions
« on: July 01, 2017, 12:01:50 pm »
Are sting reactions genetic? The only reason I ask is that my mom and I stings reactions are near mirror images of each other. Just got me thinking is there something genetic to it. I wish I had my dad's non reaction to anything. Bee sting, no reaction, poison ivy no reaction, okra no reaction. In fact I can't think of a single allergy he has.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bee Sting Reactions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:35:39 pm »
Not genetic. My father had no allergies, nothing more than a dime size bump from a bee, never was bitten by a mosquito. I am the same, but get mosquito bites, maybe one per five people around me get.

My son had an anaphylactic reaction from a honeybee, and swells more from a mosquito than I do from a bumblebee.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:24:37 pm »
Mr. Wallace, I have reviewed some of your previous post.  You are a well informed individual with accurate information in your postings.  You have ask a simple question that has a very complex answer.  In short: Yes.

Question:  immune reactions to antigens are they genetic?  (ok I worded it differently) First, an antigen is a molecule that an immune cell responds to: pollen, bee venom, dust...  2.  The short answer is yes there are genetic factors passed on by the parents to the child.  Penicillin is a good example but does not mean for certain.  However, when immune cells acquire their ability to recognize an antigen, there is a process that is completely random whereas an immune cells responds to a specific antigen.  The odds are one in a billion that an immune cell will respond to some common antigen such as a specific pollen or bee venom. This explains why a child can have reactive sinuses whereas siblings and both parents do not react.

So the ability to react to pollen, bee venom or whatever can be either inherited or can be a random event on a molecular level at creation of the original immune cell.

Mr. Wallace, I have tried to explain a with a simple answer.  The immune system is complex so please text if I have created any confusions.

Now understand we have not discussed anaphylactic shock and this is beyond the scope of this text.

For your information:  I am a retired genetic engineer MBIO, I worked exclusively on bacteria causing human disease. 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:30:36 am »
Wallace,
Your immune system is not static. It develops base on your environment. When I started beekeeping, I swelled up as much as anyone. In the past 2 days, I took somewhere between 14 to 20 stings while removing honey, moving the hives and putting stickies back on. Most were on my hands and wrist, one next to my left eye and one on my head.
I have had 0 swelling and no marks showing.
One thing that helped me get to this point was that when I started beekeeping, my pharmacist recommended using Benadryl cream and Hydro Cortisone cream together.  Once I did that, my reaction quickly decreased.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:37:28 am »
Jim, what are stickies?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:57:54 am »
I'm not Jim, but stickies are extracted combs that are still sticky from the honey left in them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:27:49 am »
Thanks Wally.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 08:46:52 pm »
and the bird gains a little bit more knowledge. :smile:
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 09:42:07 am »
Wallace,
Your immune system is not static. It develops base on your environment. When I started beekeeping, I swelled up as much as anyone. In the past 2 days, I took somewhere between 14 to 20 stings while removing honey, moving the hives and putting stickies back on. Most were on my hands and wrist, one next to my left eye and one on my head.
I have had 0 swelling and no marks showing.
One thing that helped me get to this point was that when I started beekeeping, my pharmacist recommended using Benadryl cream and Hydro Cortisone cream together.  Once I did that, my reaction quickly decreased.
Jim
What you have described is the body developing a tolerance to the venom, but in those who have an allergy, each exposure can be the same or much worse leading up to anaphalyxis.  And these antibodies (that are the tolerance) can be delved from the mother's breast milk. 

Regardless an extremely complicated subject with multiple foci.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 03:57:03 pm »
No, allergies are not genetic as Van has described. Immunology is a very complicated subject!

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 07:19:03 pm »
Hello Phil.  Go back an read my post, Sir.  I never mentioned the word "allergy."   I did mention complex.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:31 pm »
Van, you said yes to the question of "are sting reactions genetic"? (Sorry you said reaction not allergy). Regardless, they are not.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 09:49:45 pm »
Mr. PhilK:

Google "parents allergic pencillin" first hit, how stuff works;  short answer, both as I stated "yes inherited" and/ or "random chance."  Good day mate.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 01:26:35 pm »
Good to know and thanks for the answers. Curious how genetics and random chance work together.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »
They don't, bwallace. From the research I've done you can inherit the likelihood of getting reactions (ie parents with allergies are more likely to have children with allergies), but not what the reaction is to (ie peanut allergic parents may have a child allergic to something else). Hypersensitivities (which is what a sting reaction is) are potentially the same, but all reactions are multifactorial so there isn't one thing causing the problem.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 09:47:45 am »
Of note, you cannot have a reaction unless you have the antibodies.  Those come after an exposure.  Unless exposed in the womb you have to have the exposure to get the reaction.  There may be a genetic factor, but one is not "born" with allergies.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 12:37:11 pm »
Probably a little off topic, but if I get stung by a wasp I have a way worse reaction than I do from a honey bee. I get a pretty bit bump, a lot of redness and itching for days when I get stung by a wasp. We have these dang guinea wasps around here and they are nasty little suckers. They had built a nest under my porch rail that I didn't know about. I was actually on the phone with a lady about some honey bees and when I grabbed the rail one popped me on the knuckle. I accidentally said a few choice words that she heard and thankfully thought was hilarious.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 09:42:05 am »
Probably a little off topic, but if I get stung by a wasp I have a way worse reaction than I do from a honey bee. I get a pretty bit bump, a lot of redness and itching for days when I get stung by a wasp. We have these dang guinea wasps around here and they are nasty little suckers. They had built a nest under my porch rail that I didn't know about. I was actually on the phone with a lady about some honey bees and when I grabbed the rail one popped me on the knuckle. I accidentally said a few choice words that she heard and thankfully thought was hilarious.
Actually I don't see that as off topic, the point made is that wasps are not bees and reactions will be different as the antibodies are different for each toxin
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 11:50:16 am »
Yeah I get a much worse reaction to wasps. I get some localized swelling and redness and itchiness for a few hours. In 15 minutes I can't find my bee stings. That 15 minutes is painful with a small bump and it really does itch but it is less than a reaction I get to okra leaves

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 11:55:46 am »
In 15 minutes I can't find my bee stings. That 15 minutes is painful with a small bump and it really does itch but it is less than a reaction I get to okra leaves

If you want to get rid of that 15 minutes of pain try crushing some plaintain leaves and rubbing the juice on the sting.  It stops the pain almost immediately.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 02:02:36 pm »
[iIf you want to get rid of that 15 minutes of pain try crushing some plaintain leaves and rubbing the juice on the sting.  It stops the pain almost immediately][/i]

Planatain-Plantago lanceolata and major. Common Names English Plantain, Broad Leaf Plantain

Can also be used for Poison ivy/oak, kidneys, bladder, joint swelling, it's a nutritive and a laxative. Indians called it "White man's footsteps". The early Europeans planted it everywhere. I'm already off thread so I'll hush..,
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 04:18:32 pm »
Great info GSF glad to know of it. Please post more like that

Offline hrtull

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 01:12:51 pm »
I get stung on a routine basis. Burns and itches for a little while with little to no swelling. Yesterday got stung in the middle of index finger joint on top of hand. My hand and arm or swollen up to my elbow 24 hrs later but slightly improving.  Very curious why this sting did this, why the reaction this time and never before. Anyone else experienced this random reaction.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »
I get stung on a routine basis. Burns and itches for a little while with little to no swelling. Yesterday got stung in the middle of index finger joint on top of hand. My hand and arm or swollen up to my elbow 24 hrs later but slightly improving.  Very curious why this sting did this, why the reaction this time and never before. Anyone else experienced this random reaction.
The next time you get stung in the same area, note what happens. You will probably see a drastic reduction. Not a doctor but I suspect the glands in this area of your body are still learning.
I have seen the same thing when I started beekeeping. One area reacts and another area doesn't.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 09:48:51 pm »
I caught a swarm earlier in the spring. The bees are doing real good. Building up well and making beautiful comb. The bees are notably more testy than my other 7 hives. They bump alot more and sting quicker. They are not aggressive, just grumpier. It seems i get more swelling and longer lasting reactions from the stings this hive gives me. Has anyone ever noted different reactions from different hives? The queen is striped so some kind of mutt.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 10:27:33 am »
Some bee stings, even from the same hive, will have different reactions. Most of the time it depends on how long you leave the stinger in.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 11:21:44 pm »
In 15 minutes I can't find my bee stings. That 15 minutes is painful with a small bump and it really does itch but it is less than a reaction I get to okra leaves

If you want to get rid of that 15 minutes of pain try crushing some plaintain leaves and rubbing the juice on the sting.  It stops the pain almost immediately.

Is their a way to preserve this plant to be used later when needed? For an example, if a person is doing a cutout can that person pick some of this and store it in some manner and take it with them when needed? Frozen? Dried and rehydrated perhaps? Maybe some other way? Mr Van? Someone else? Thanks Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 12:11:19 am »

cao will this also help with the swelling?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 12:23:57 am »
Ben: this link provides the info you are looking for.
Blessings

https://wellnessmama.com/4638/plantain-herb-profile/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:16 am »
Is their a way to preserve this plant to be used later when needed?

If you don't fertilize your lawn it is usually available during the summer.  I would think that any kind of process or preservation would reduce its effectiveness.  Although, maybe better than nothing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 02:42:46 am »
Ben: this link provides the info you are looking for.
Blessings

https://wellnessmama.com/4638/plantain-herb-profile/

Thanks Van.

anything