Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: White Webbing in Christmas Tree  (Read 2547 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
White Webbing in Christmas Tree
« on: December 19, 2019, 08:00:06 pm »
My family has a Frasier fir live Christmas tree in our house right now, and today we noticed that all over some of the branches there is this white webbing.  It's not really like spider silk, it's kind of curly and not sticky.  I don't see any significant damage to the tree anywhere, although some of the needles on the affected branches have brown spots on the bottoms, nor do I see any insects or evidence of insects, but this is definitely silk and not mold.  It almost reminds me of caterpillar silk, like the waxworms leave in beehives.  I tried googling, but didn't come up with anything that matches what I'm seeing.  Anyone have any ideas?

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: White Webbing in Christmas Tree
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 01:25:15 pm »
Looks like mold from here...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 06:44:05 pm »
Looks like mold from here...
I REALLY don't think it's mold.  It's not a growth, it's like someone sprinkled the needles with hair.  It's not really getting any worse.  The only thing I can think of is it was some sort of caterpillar who is now pupating somewhere in the tree.  Guess we'll never know.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 10:57:02 pm »
Maybe its just fur? Like some animal rubbed against it?
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 01:00:36 am »
Maybe its just fur? Like some animal rubbed against it?
No, it?s up too high. Only one of our cats is this white, and it?s not his hair. And I really don?t think it was there when we first brought the tree home. My mom decorated it, and she would have noticed then if it had been there.

anything