Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A TBH question...  (Read 6869 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
A TBH question...
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:47:19 pm »
I'm thinking about splitting a colony (currently in a langstroth 10 frame) or making plans to next year two brood cycles before the jacoranda honeyflow.  The only reason I'm bringing this to the forum is that I want to start a TBH.  I realize that there are many different types of TBHs but I wanted answers from someone who is experienced in keeping them.  My main question is, what features (i.e. screened bottom, sloping or virticle sides, etc.)are recomended?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
A TBH question...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 11:52:04 pm »
>My main question is, what features (i.e. screened bottom, sloping or virticle sides, etc.)are recomended?

I think sloping or vertical both work fine.  Getting the right comb size for the shape has been a struggle for me to find a comb size and shape that wouldn't collapse.  If you have langstroth hives, I'd build a three box long langstroth box and put 3/8" by 19" by 1 1/4" bars in half of it and 1 1/2" bars for the other half.  Try to get the brood on the 1 1/4" bars and the honey on the 1 1/2" bars.

My TTBH (three box long medium depth langstroth box with top bars) has a SBB, but my KTBH does not.  Both seem to work fine.

There are pictures on my web site:

www.bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
A TBH question...
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:19:16 am »
Isn't that a TMLBTBH...? :lol:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
A TBH question...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 08:41:21 am »
I thought it was a TBLMDLBWTB

or

three box long medium depth langstroth box with top bars

I haven't quite figured out what TMLBTBH is.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
A TBH question...
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 09:24:03 am »
Ya all are pretty silly. :) But I took a shot at the TMLBTBH. I think that's a Three Medium Langstroth Box Top Bar Hive? (tongue twister)

Beth

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
A TBH question...
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:28:57 am »
Nathan,

I just went thru the same thinking a while back.  The nice thing about TBH is that there is no right answer, so you need to build with the features you find important.

I ended up designing mine from ideas from multiple sights.   The main hive I modeled after the slightly sloped plans this:
http://bwrangler.madpage.com/bee/tmyt.htm

I like the idea of being able to wire a deep langstroth frame to the bottom onf the top bar.   This way I just took a 5 frame nuc and moved it right in.  As they build their own comb,  I will slowly move back the langstroths and eventually remoce them.

I also wanted a working height that didn't require bending over and didn't want to deal with cement blocks,  so I incorporated legs like here:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebeekeeper23/TBH.htm

And finally, I didn't want to deal with heavy covers, so I opted for the metal one like here:
http://home.att.net/~mcdonald/bees/hive/crowder/

FYI,  I elected to forgo a SBB since it seems that feral colonies seem to prefer a closed environment and manage the temperature just fine. I don't like to use SBB year round, so adding one with the ability to close it off would just add more complexity to the build that I didn't think was worth it.

There is a wealth of options and knowledge out there on the web, just do your research and come up with what best fits your needs.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison