Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees allogrooming  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Leoj900

• House Bee
Bees allogrooming
« on: May 13, 2020, 12:21:06 pm »
I just installed my second swarm into my back yard and have been watching them doing some strange behavior. I was thinking that they were being defensive, but then I realized that they are just grooming. I had never heard of allogrooming before and was wondering if this is a common behavior for most bees.
https://streamable.com/t2ztw4

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: Bees allogrooming
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 12:45:06 pm »
Bees help groom each other but it is also part of their communication system.  Also, if you look closer, you may see transference of the groceries.  Field bees come in and offer the nectar, pollen, or resins to the house bees.  The house workers will take these products and move them in to the proper storage or use areas of the hive.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 01:51:11 pm »
I see this regularly on my landing boards; Perfectly normal behavior to me.  I spend time almost daily watching the landing boards of a few hives.  I get a good idea of hive activity and flow/blooms in the area.  It's peaceful most of the time and entertaining occasionally...especially when there's an occasional unwanted guest that gets too close to the entrance. 

Offline Leoj900

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 02:07:46 pm »
That is reassuring. I just read that this is something that AHB do. I would be very disappointed if my initial beekeeping experience had me dealing with some feisty girls. Still looking forward to my first sting at some point.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 02:13:10 pm »
I agree, looks normal to me.  I've seen this behavior at my entrances many times.  I also agree with Jurassic that it's a good idea to watch the landing boards for a few minutes every day, especially as a beginner.  You can tell a lot about what's going on inside by the traffic coming and going.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything