Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Doubting Myself  (Read 1987 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
Doubting Myself
« on: April 30, 2020, 09:56:46 pm »
Not sure I made the right decision to let my bees swarm.

They did not choose three excellent bait hives set out for them.

This is my fear -- they went to an unwelcoming place where the people will call exterminators to destroy them.

We have two pest control companies here.  I called one and they seemingly could not care less.  The other was more sympathetic but, though I offered money, they did not commit to calling me if someone in the neighborhood complained about a swarm.

It's not the money lost or potentially gained by catching the swarm that bothers me.  They are such magnificent creatures and should not be destroyed.

I had a romantic rather than practical view of things.  Good does not magically happen.  We must work at it, eh?
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Doubting Myself
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:16:18 pm »
Sorry to hear they flew right by your offerings. 
That is a reason that we do splits.  A split is a controlled swarm done on our own terms, time, and conditions to have best possible outcome for the bees and for us.  The less left to chance, the better off all shall bee.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Doubting Myself
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 10:19:47 pm »
There is always the possibility some tree has gained a new family, which next year could swarm right back into your bait hives.  Not over yet!!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:46:14 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 12:46:11 am »
Good answers here from Van and HP. Both are correct.

Someone I read, worded it this way, "swarming is the honey bees natural way of reproduction". They can only do this if they are healthy and strong as a colony - so kudos to you! If every swarm survived, the earth would be covered in bees. In the end, Van is correct - the most likely outcome is that they found a safe place, and will send you back a swarm next year.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 08:54:03 am »
Most things in nature are geared to move away from their parents for survival.  The biggest exception are humans.  Normally a swarm will not move into boxes right next to the parent hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 09:30:58 am »
Thanks, guys.

Leaving this morning for San Antonio to pick up two nucs for my apiary in the woods -- what passes for woods here, anyway.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 09:34:47 am »
> Not sure I made the right decision to let my bees swarm.

> I had a romantic rather than practical view of things.  Good does not magically happen. 

Now don?t be hard on yourself. We discussed this in (First look of the new season.) Iddee and I suggested that you split instead. You seemed pretty well set with your mind made up. I thought about that mindset for a second, instead or trying to continue to persuade you to split, I put myself in your shoes and agreed with you for those same romantic reasons. You would have been like a kid on Christmas morning had you caught this swarm, you deserved the chance for that reason alone! When I realized you were in it for the joy of catching that swarm I backed off. Yes it could have went either way. Look at it this way. You could have just as easily caught that swarm with your trap and you would not even be having these negative feelings and second thoughts. Cheer up Brother. Let me encourage you, Do not let the enemy steal you joy! Have a wonderful blessing filled day!
There is always the possibility some tree has gained a new family, which next year could swarm right back into your bait hives.  Not over yet!!!

Blessings,
Phillip

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 04:01:02 pm »
Oof, such a hard feeling.  Yes, I agree a somewhat romanticized view of swarming, but now you know that they will do what they want to do, and not necessarily move into your offered spaces.  Don?t be too hard on yourself, now you can plan ahead for next time.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 09:58:29 pm »

> I had a romantic rather than practical view of things.  Good does not magically happen. 

Now don?t be hard on yourself. We discussed this in (First look of the new season.) Iddee and I suggested that you split instead. You seemed pretty well set with your mind made up. I thought about that mindset for a second, instead or trying to continue to persuade you to split, I put myself in your shoes and agreed with you for those same romantic reasons. You would have been like a kid on Christmas morning had you caught this swarm, you deserved the chance for that reason alone! When I realized you were in it for the joy of catching that swarm I backed off. Yes it could have went either way. Look at it this way. You could have just as easily caught that swarm with your trap and you would not even be having these negative feelings and second thoughts. Cheer up Brother. Let me encourage you, Do not let the enemy steal you joy! Have a wonderful blessing filled day!

Blessings,
Phillip

Thanks, Phillip.

Worked really hard on those bait hives.

I think that they were just too close.

Will study up on making splits.

Meanwhile, installed two nucs today.  See related new post.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Doubting Myself
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 11:08:38 am »
...... I had a comment here that I just removed,  In its place I have  started as separate thread asking for best practices, experiences, with respect to successful swarm trapping.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:24:44 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 03:48:45 pm »
This morning's lesson said that God claims the first born of everything that gives birth.

I suspect that applies to a beehive.

But from now on that hive will produce splits!  LOL

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 10:05:20 pm »
I know how disappointing that is.  Sorry to hear.  I didn't know you were trying to "swarm trap" swarms from your own hives.  Leave the traps up there, they may catch something yet.

I agree with everyone else, you should split.  The bees may be looking for all the elements we're telling you, but they don't read this forum.  When you place them in an empty hive with frames and some drawn comb, they have all the criteria of having swarmed.  The easiest is a "Walk Away" split.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 05:50:36 pm »
Acebird is right.
We have had trap hives around our bees many times and caught nothing, had some about 600 yds away, still nothing, just flew straight over them.
We don't do trap hives anymore, waste of hardware, just do early splits before they think about swarming.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 12:39:21 pm »

don't give up on the bait hives.  Setting them out always means there is a chance.  You might even consider making some more, and finding other locations to place them.  Moving your splits to the woods?  Sounds like a reasonable place to put a couple traps.
good luck.
Blessings,
Phillip

Thanks, Phillip.

Worked really hard on those bait hives.

I think that they were just too close.

Will study up on making splits.

Meanwhile, installed two nucs today.  See related new post.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 01:28:11 pm »
> "don't give up on the bait hives.  Setting them out always means there is a chance.  You might even consider making some more, and finding other locations to place them.  Moving your splits to the woods?  Sounds like a reasonable place to put a couple traps.
good luck."

I think this was mixed in some kind of way by accident by hops during the quoting. But I like it hops. Good advise.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 04:33:28 pm »
Splits look easier than I thought -- eggs, eh?

Tanks, guys!

anything