Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 Established Hives, 2 Swarms---September 24, 2009  (Read 4094 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
2 Established Hives, 2 Swarms---September 24, 2009
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:06:00 am »
One was in a wall of a building about to be demolished, the two swarm looking clusters (new colonies) between floor joists of a house trailer and the last one was in between ceiling joists of a 2 story house. The last one took 2 and a 1/2 days to complete and the last morning I walked into the room and the queen was on the interior floor surrounded by attendants.

All this in the last few weeks.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/September242009#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: 2 Established Hives, 2 Swarms---September 24, 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:22:18 am »
WOW JP that one is huge how many box's did it take to hive that one. And thank's for all the great pic's.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:50:13 am »
Sounds like you have been busy the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for the pics.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:37:03 pm »
WOW JP that one is huge how many box's did it take to hive that one. And thank's for all the great pic's.

Put in a deep and a medium Irwin.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:05:42 am »
Gosh JP, you can still get swarms out there so late in the year. What sort of weather are you having right now?

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:15:04 am »
I had a swarm recently, JP that filled 13 deep frames and now with queenie starting to lay is now 2 deeps and I am about to put another super on.

Mick

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 09:42:04 am »

Put in a deep and a medium Irwin.

...JP
You the man :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:53:11 pm »
Gosh JP, you can still get swarms out there so late in the year. What sort of weather are you having right now?

Lows in the high 70's to low eighties, highs near 90. The last few weeks or so I have gotten at least 5 swarm calls in addition to established hive calls. Golden rain trees are in full bloom. Golden rod has started as well.

...JP

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:23:33 pm »
Great pics and effort JP! I really enjoyed the slideshow. Look forward to more. You really are "The Man"!

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 12:13:33 am »
Awsome pictures! wish I could remember take them.   Looks like they have been there a while.  Love when I find good dark comb like that, stays in the frames a lot better.   Cutting sheetrock with all that romex .. hope it was tuned off!  Hot wires+ alum. ladders = bad things!  Thanks for posting enjoyed them.

Mike
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:03:06 am »
Awsome pictures! wish I could remember take them.   Looks like they have been there a while.  Love when I find good dark comb like that, stays in the frames a lot better.   Cutting sheetrock with all that romex .. hope it was tuned off!  Hot wires+ alum. ladders = bad things!  Thanks for posting enjoyed them.

Mike

I hear you Mike. Actually, the romex you see is between the floor joists of a trailer, did these two on my back. The large hive in the wall void was in a vacant house with no power. They were tearing it down as soon as the bees were removed.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:46 am »
Oh JP, I see that you are still up to your antics in catching swarms, sigh....kidding.  We are heading into the dreadlocks of winter now, not a chance of a swarmy thing.  I love your pictures, I love that you have such a passion for swarm catching and cutouts  :) :) :).  You go dude!!!  Sounds like you are still in the throws of hot summertime type weather there, lucky you.  Keep on keepin' on and showing us all your bee deeds, love to see those pics!!!  Have that most awesomely great and beautiful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service