Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why Grandpa carries a gun: PS. I'm grandpa  (Read 20403 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Why Grandpa carries a gun: PS. I'm grandpa
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2016, 02:26:56 pm »
The only reason to register weapons is so that the government can take them away.
Jim, there are many reasons for registering weapons.  Probably first and foremost it brings in revenue that supports the hunting enthusiast.  Then there is the control of what goes where.  That might be a problem for you but it does help in protecting citizens and solving crimes.  It doesn't necessarily stop crime but it is a deterrent.  The third reason for registering a weapon is to prove it is yours.  If someone steals a gun from you, how do you prove it is yours.  If registration is in force it makes it harder to buy a stolen weapon.
Now your remark about the government is absolutely silly in today's times.  If our government wanted to kill you an 18 year old kid sitting in a office up here in Upstate NY could take you out with a drone no matter where you are in the country.  Even if you had your life savings in ammo and firearms.  Does the second Amendment give you the right to own an armed drone and fly it where ever you like?  Why not?
In this country the government is US and if the majority of US's don't want the minority of US's to have certain weapons it will happen.  We had visionaries at the beginning of our government who gave us the means to change our laws to meet future needs and wants.  Unfortunately, and it is a big unfortunate situation, our elected officials that go to Washington have no interest in what is good for the country.  They are in it strictly for themselves.  What needs to happen is cooperation so those that want to have weapons for legitimate reasons can have them.  I think that is going to require registration.  If you have better ideas that will work send your ideas to Washington.  As it stands right now it is too easy for a crack pot or a group of crazies to get weapons and wipe out innocent people.
Registration doesn't in any way affect the 2nd Amendment unless you are crazy.  Does a criminal have a right to have a firearm?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 02:57:15 pm »
The only reason to register weapons is so that the government can take them away.
Registration doesn't in any way affect the 2nd Amendment unless you are crazy.  Does a criminal have a right to have a firearm?

Unless you don't know history.
Unless you think history doesn't repeat itself.
Do you really think the USA will continue as a constitutional republic for eternity?
Half of the country can't even name one of the vice presidential candidates.
They are sheep, and will conform to whatever the powers that be want to make of this great nation.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2016, 04:22:30 pm »
In this country the government is US and if the majority of US's don't want the minority of US's to have certain weapons it will happen.

This is a leftist error and explains much about why they believe what they believe.  The government is not us.  The government is our employee.  If people would remember that and treat the government in that way, we would have the control we were meant to have. 

The second amendment argument is a piece of a larger and more important argument.  You position depends on believing that giving government more control is good for society. This idea is not lost on leftist politicians.  If they can win the 2nd amendment argument, they can win the free speech argument and define "hate speech", regulate internet speech, and control broadcast speech....all things they are already trying to do.  They can interfere with religious exercise, and the press....all things they are already trying to do or have expressed an interest in doing. They can win the 10th amendment argument, which they are already doing and must do to increase the power of the federal government.    They are already ignoring the 4th and parts of the 5th. They completely ignore the 9th.

You don't think that can happen.  I am telling you it is happening.  What makes you think we are so special that we can't end up on the long list of countries that willingly gave up freedom to an oppressive government?   
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2016, 06:14:06 pm »
>Registration doesn't in any way affect the 2nd Amendment unless you are crazy.  Does a criminal have a right to have a firearm?

You can't license a right.  And if you register people for a right you set them up for confiscation.  It has always been the sequence of events whenever registration of firearms has taken place.  Over and over in history that is the first step.  What is the point of registration if you aren't going to confiscate them?  The list of people who are ineligible to have a gun is much shorter than the list of people who are eligible.  You should keep the short list, not the long list.  You should track the ones who shouldn't have guns, not the people who have them or can have them.

Watching the current election and the things going on, I think we are already in a 3rd world country as far as corruption and out of control government.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2016, 06:21:32 pm »
my niegbor has a ar10 he uses it to hog hunt at night. has a 6000.00 night scope and silancer on it. two weeks ago he got 40 hogs in one field in about three hours. the said they keep coming back to see why the others kept falling.

john

looking thru his scope was likr looking in daylight. plus has FLIR on it.
It could be handled with a special license and registration.  The instances where these guns are used for hunting are few and far between.  .

No sir, not so few and not so far between.  Modern Rifles (as the AR platform is called outside the anti-2A camp) are being used quite commonly.  I saw 2 of them in Utah on one morning.  2 in Idaho another morning.  There is absolutely no reason why one could not or should not use a modern rifle.  Suppressors and night sights?  Just another couple tools in the hunter's kit.  Why would any thoughtful person want special licenses and registrations for tools that A) reduce noise pollution, B) Save the shooter's hearing from destructive noise, and C) Aid in the control of destructive, invasive species when they are most activel?

Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2016, 06:28:00 pm »
Jim, there are many reasons for registering weapons.  Probably first and foremost it brings in revenue that supports the hunting enthusiast.  Then there is the control of what goes where.  That might be a problem for you but it does help in protecting citizens and solving crimes.  It doesn't necessarily stop crime but it is a deterrent.  The third reason for registering a weapon is to prove it is yours.  If someone steals a gun from you, how do you prove it is yours.  If registration is in force it makes it harder to buy a stolen weapon.
Now your remark about the government is absolutely silly in today's times.  If our government wanted to kill you an 18 year old kid sitting in a office up here in Upstate NY could take you out with a drone no matter where you are in the country.  Even if you had your life savings in ammo and firearms.  Does the second Amendment give you the right to own an armed drone and fly it where ever you like?  Why not?
In this country the government is US and if the majority of US's don't want the minority of US's to have certain weapons it will happen.  We had visionaries at the beginning of our government who gave us the means to change our laws to meet future needs and wants.  Unfortunately, and it is a big unfortunate situation, our elected officials that go to Washington have no interest in what is good for the country.  They are in it strictly for themselves.  What needs to happen is cooperation so those that want to have weapons for legitimate reasons can have them.  I think that is going to require registration.  If you have better ideas that will work send your ideas to Washington.  As it stands right now it is too easy for a crack pot or a group of crazies to get weapons and wipe out innocent people.

The funds from registering firearms does not do anything to support hunters or the game animals.  Hunting licenses and special excise taxes on hunting gear do that.   Registration fees ONLY go to support the registration schemes.  Registration does not deter a criminal, it only deters the honest citizen.

You are right about one thing though, our elected officials that go to Washington have no interest in what is good for the country.  They are in it strictly for themselves.

And I do have a legitimate reason to own any firearm I choose to own.  I am a free born human being, born with the right to defend myself, my family, and my property.  And even if the anti-2A fools ever succeed in legislating away the guns, they will never take awau that inalienable right, and I will use whatever weapon that comes to hand if forced to exercise that right.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2023, 08:42:45 am »
Why Grandpa carries a gun:

My old Grandpa said to me, 'Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take a whoopin'.'

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the World.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry; I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man; I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron: Free citizens must protect themselves because police cannot protect you from crime; they investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a whoopin'!

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
PLEASE DON'T THINK FOR A MOMENT, THAT THIS COULDN'T HAPPEN IN OUR COUNTRY ALSO.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control: From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
In 1911, Turkey established gun control: From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938: From 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were  unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
China established gun control in 1935: From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Guatemala established gun control in 1964: From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------
Uganda established gun control in 1970: From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------
Cambodia established gun control in 1956: From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

56 million defenseless people were rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

With guns, we are 'citizens'; without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WW II, the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

Gun owners in the USA are the largest armed forces in the World!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense.

The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES A GUN TO EVERY HOUSEHOLD!  SWITZERLAND 'S GOVERNMENT ISSUES AND TRAINS EVERY ADULT IN THE USE OF A RIFLE. SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

IT'S A NO BRAINER! DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment! If you are too, please forward this. If you're not a believer, please reconsider the true facts. This is history; not what's being shown on TV, sanctioned by our illustrious delusional leaders in Washington.

Thanks iddee...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything