Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My bees eat out, never at home.  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
My bees eat out, never at home.
« on: May 28, 2019, 02:37:25 pm »
Despite all the flowers and vegetables in my garden, it seems my bees prefer to eat out all the time. I don't know how they afford it. It's my first hive, a feral bunch that just moved in, so how can I expect them to be grateful for a good home life? Looking into the summer, there are some tree sized pink and red crepe myrtles that will be in bloom. Perhaps they will appreciate that offering...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My bees eat out, never at home.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 09:19:02 am »
Some of your bees are dining on your garden. Right now there is something much better that they like but some are probably in there at certain times.
I thought the same thing about my wife?s garden but there is a huge difference between having bee hives and not having bee hives.
Now with 30 hives my wife?s garden is constantly buzzing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:44:11 pm »
I suppose that having been a feral swarm that moved in, they already have established, favorite nectar sources. I am willing to bet, however, that when my neighbor's red crepe myrtle trees bloom, they will stick around more. There are some dwarf crepe myrtles at our county middle school, and honey bees were tearing them up last summer. But surely they will visit my vegetables soon. Last year, i didn't see a single honey bee in my yard. I know, because I purposely watched every time I went out. Carpenter bees, wasps, and jackets, but no bees.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 10:14:36 pm »
Crape Myrtles do not have nectaries. The only thing the bees can get is pollen.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 08:15:35 am »
From a webpage... "The flowers of these trees range in colors from red to white, and have also evolved to attract pollinators by producing two types of pollen.  One is a false bee friendly pollen that is well suited for bee digestion, and that other pollen is used for fertilization.  These trees have also been known to produce honeydew if aphid infestations get out of control, which would also attract bees when nectar is scarce."
Interesting Jim. I am discovering a whole other side to beekeeping, namely the gardening side. I planted another Myrtle. I will have to wait till it blooms to see if they like it.

anything