Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi, from Auckland, New Zealand  (Read 1632 times)

Offline DaveG

• New Bee
Hi, from Auckland, New Zealand
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:18:34 am »
Hi... from Auckland New Zealand

My name is Dave and this is my second year in bee keeping. We live in suburban Auckland and have 6 hives (4 production hives and 2 smaller hives from swarms) placed around our house where my wife will let me.

My 7 year old son and 8 year old daughter also have bee suits (my daughter has a pink hive tool), and they are very involved.

We have a good bee club in Auckland that has grown from 150 to 600 members in 4 years as bee keeping is enjoying a resurgence in popularity. It's great sitting down with the old guys that have been doing this for 40 years and gleaning some wisdom off them.

In NZ (home of the Haka and the All Blacks!) we have varroa mite and low levels of wax moth, but we don't have hive beetle to deal with. Our summers are quite warm 20-30 degrees C and it gets down to 5-10 in winter. We don't have snow on the ground so don't have to deal with that level of cold!

Hopefully I can learn and contribute to the forum.

Thanks
Dave

There are two types of people in this world...
Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hi, from Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:40:20 pm »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:59:26 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything