Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Opening the broodnest  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Opening the broodnest
« on: February 12, 2022, 12:24:41 am »
First spring inspection was last week, and I moved all the leftover capped honey frames to the front entrance, so the brood nest can expand unobstructed towards the back of the hive.
Temps are hitting 65/34F this week. NOW, I have begun to open the broodnest, adding an empty frame on both sides of the broodnest (front & back). Only one or two empties this week. They are festooned a little.
Anyone else working their long hives?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Opening the broodnest
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 09:25:58 am »
Temps are hitting 65/34F this week.
It would seem to me that a low of 34F would slow the hive down by creating space in the brood nest but I have never run a long hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 09:57:45 am »
Greetings Brian,
Yes, the lows concern me a little, but the highs in the low 60smnove me more. I have had a hive swarm on March 10 before. That means the queen cells were begun around February 24. That's less than two weeks from now. When did the congestion and swarm impulse begin before that? They were already getting swarm minded by this time in that year.
However, even though the hives are getting big populations now, I didn't divide the brood nest. i only put an empty frame on each side of it.
They aren't making drone cells yet, but they are beginning to festoon empty frames.
I think it will work out.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 08:42:13 am »
That means the queen cells were begun around February 24.
I am not use to the southern time table to know if this is normal.  If it is not it might have been a one off due to a failing queen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 09:02:27 am »
That's a possibility, Brian.
It was only my second spring.
On the other hand, temperatures are touching 70F at times this week.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 03:11:29 pm »
Greetings Brian,
Yes, the lows concern me a little, but the highs in the low 60smnove me more. I have had a hive swarm on March 10 before. That means the queen cells were begun around February 24. That's less than two weeks from now. When did the congestion and swarm impulse begin before that? They were already getting swarm minded by this time in that year.
However, even though the hives are getting big populations now, I didn't divide the brood nest. i only put an empty frame on each side of it.
They aren't making drone cells yet, but they are beginning to festoon empty frames.
I think it will work out.

Bob the year that you noticed the March 10 swarm, did you also notice drones flying too and fro at that time as well? 

Thanks
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 09:54:46 pm »
I didn't notice active drones, but it was my first spring. However, I remember the colony was large.
Much like this year. My colonies are building fast already and we are only half way through February.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 11:58:29 pm »
Back in the long hives again. I added empty, foundationless frames around the broodnests, giving them space.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 08:32:27 pm »
Still too cold for me to get into hive other than to check on whether they are alive or dead.  The maples are still a week or two from blooming here.  Although the bees are taking pollen sub. when flying weather.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 11:40:20 pm »
Cao. I hope you have a good year... no SHBs.
When I inspected earlier this week, I found a palm size patch of capped drone brood.
I really am working to keep them from swarming right at the honey flow this year.
1. Moved the old honey frames from behind to the entrance.
2. Inserting empties already.
3. Planning to pull brood frames for nucs in 2 more weeks.
Hopefully that will set me up for the April honey flow.