Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping acronyms  (Read 7506 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Beekeeping acronyms
« on: January 17, 2022, 09:08:55 am »
I?m starting this topic for new and even experienced beekeepers so that when you run across a new acronym, hopefully it is here in this topic for reference..
TBH-Top Bar Hive,
SBB-Screen Bottom Board
STB-Screen Top Board
TF-Treatment Free
VD-Varroa Destructor
Please add any and all that you can remember.
If you use a new one that is not in this topic, please add it
Jim Altmiller

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 05:57:14 pm by Ben Framed »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Beekeeping acronyms
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 10:23:47 am »
To keep this thread from having like 100 tiny posts, I'm just going to edit my post whenever I think of a new one.  I also added a brief explanation of each item, since this is for beginners. 

QX or QE--queen excluder (used to keep the queen from accessing a section of the hive)
HBH--Honey Bee Healthy (a brand of feeding stimulant)
SHB--small hive beetle (a small black beetle that is a pest of honey bees)
DSB--double screen board (also known as a Snelgrove board, used to separate a group of bees from the rest of the hive while still enabling them to smell one another)
DSBB--double screen bottom board (used for the control of small hives beetles, often in conjunction with an oil pan or DE)
DE--diatomaceous earth (a powder made from fossilized marine organisms used as an natural insecticide for insects like hive beetles)
BT--Bacillus thuringiensis (a bacterium used as an organic insecticide for soft bodied insects like waxworms)
OAV--oxalic acid vaporizer/vaporization (a method of treating for varroa mites by heating oxalic acid crystals into a vapor which coats the bees in a hive)
OA--oxalic acid (see "OAV")
AHB--Africanized honey bees (also known as "killer bees" for their aggressive behavior, a hybrid of the European honey bee Apis mellifera and the East African lowland honey bee Apis mellifera scutellata)
EHB--European honey bee (also known as the Western honey bee, Apis mellifera, the most common species kept by beekeepers in America, Europe, and Australia)
AFB--American foulbrood (a devastating brood disease caused by the spore-forming bacterium Paenibacillus larvae; in many countries it is required by law that the hive be entirely destroyed)
EFB--European foulbrood (a brood disease caused by the bacterium Melissococcus plutonius, which unlike AFB is considered treatable) 
CBPV--chronic bee paralysis virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
DMV--deformed wing virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
IAPV--Israeli acute paralysis virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
ABPV--acute bee paralysis virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
SBPV--slow bee paralysis virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
QC--queen cell (a special large vertical brood cell often vaguely resembling a peanut in which a new queen is being reared)
BQCV--black queen cell virus (a virus characterized by queen cells turning black, can be transmitted through the parasite Nosema apis)
PMS--parasitic mite syndrome (the symptoms which characterize an advanced varroa mite infestation)
OTS--on the spot (a method of queen rearing which doesn't require any special tools)
THTH -- The Hive and the Honey Bee (L.L. Langstroth's landmark book about bees and beekeeping in his moveable frame hive;
             first released in 1853, it is re-edited and re-released every couple of years by Dadant and Sons)
BIAS -- Brood in all stages (eggs, larvae, and capped pupae)
AI -- Artificial insemination (instrumentally inseminating a queen with sperm from select drones and not allowing her to open mate)
POA -- Plan of attack
EAS -- Eastern Apicultural Society (a nonprofit organization founded in 1955 which hosts conferences and provides Master Beekeeper certification and research grants focusing on the eastern US)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 07:36:35 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 04:00:27 pm »
     Just due a  Google search of
                       "acronym for beekeeping"..
 This is just one of the links.... And I see at least 6 more links..

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesglossary.htm

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:13:24 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 02:07:14 pm »
I apparently can't edit my original post anymore, so here's a new one.

OTS--on the spot (a method of queen rearing which doesn't require any special tools)
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 11:58:56 am »
THTH -- The Hive and the Honey Bee (L.L. Langstroth's landmark book about bees and beekeeping in his moveable frame hive; first released in 1853, it is re-edited and re-released every couple of years by Dadant and Sons)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 12:57:39 pm »

Member, I added both of those to your list...

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 01:14:07 pm »

Phillip
Thanks.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 03:06:18 pm »
To keep this thread from having like 100 tiny posts, I'm just going to edit my post whenever I think of a new one.  I also added a brief explanation of each item, since this is for beginners. 

Phillip
Thanks.

You are welcome. I will be glad to add the list of Beemaster2 to your long list in order to keep that good list going If you two wish?   
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 04:37:59 pm »
You are welcome. I will be glad to add the list of Beemaster2 to your long list in order to keep that good list going If you two wish?   
It's up to you.  I don't think it's a big deal that they are separated, since they are both right up at the top together, but at the same time, it wouldn't hurt for them to be combined either. 

Offline loisl58

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 11:22:44 pm »
Thanks for the list. Some things there I have never heard of.Have saved in memo's.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Acronyms
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 09:59:34 am »
Tired of trying to figure out all those acronyms?  Here's a link to a list:
https://bushfarms.com/beesglossary.htm

If you bookmark that you can find it easily.  But also, here is the list:

Glossary of Common Abbreviations

ABJ = American Bee Journal. One of the two main bee magazines in the USA.

AFB = American Foulbrood (or Air Force Base)

AHB = Africanized Honey Bees

AM = Apis mellifera. (European honey bees)

AMM = Apis mellifera mellifera

APV = Acute Paralysis Virus. This virus kills both adult bees and brood.

BC = Bee Culture aka Gleanings in Bee Culture. One of the two main Beekeeping magazines in the USA

BPMS = Bee Parasitic Mite Syndrome

Bt = Bacillus thuringiensis. A naturally occurring bacteria that is sprayed on empty comb to kill wax moths.

Carni = Carniolan

Cauc = Caucasian

CB = Checkerboarding (aka Nectar Management)

CCD = Colony Collapse Disorder

CPV = Chronic Paralysis Virus

CW = Conventional Wisdom

DCA = Drone Congregation Area

DVAV = Dorsal-Ventral Abdominal Vibrations dance

DWV = Deformed Wing Virus

EAS = Eastern Apiculture Society

EFB = European Foulbrood

EHB = European Honey Bees

FGMO = Food Grade Mineral Oil

FWIW = For What It's Worth.

FWOF = Floor With Out a Floor

HAS = Heartland Apiculture Society

HBH = Honey Bee Healthy

HBTM = Honey Bee Tracheal Mite

HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup. A common bee feed.

HSC = Honey Super Cell (Fully drawn plastic comb in deep depth and 4.9mm cell size)

HMF = Hydroxymethyl furfural. A naturally occurring compound in honey that rises over time and rises when honey is heated.

IAPV = Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus. The virus currently being blamed for CCD

IPM = Integrated Pest Management

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

IMO = In My Opinion

IMPOV = In My Point Of View

KTBH = Kenya Top Bar Hive (one with sloped sides)

KBV = Kashmir Bee Virus

LC = Large Cell (5.4mm cell size)

LGO = Lemon Grass (essential) Oil (used for swarm lure)

MAAREC = Mid-Atlantic Apiculture Research and Extension Consortium

NM = Nectar Managment (aka Checkerboarding) or New Mexico depending on the context

NWC = New World Carniolans

OA = Oxalic Acid. An organic acid used to kill Varroa as either a syrup or vaporized.

OAV = Oxalic Acid Vapor. An organic acid vaporized to kill Varroa.

OSR = Oil Seed Rape (aka Canola). A crop that is raised to produce oil which also produces honey.

OMF = Open Mesh Floor aka Screened Bottom Board

PC = PermaComb (Fully drawn plastic comb in medium depth and about 5.0mm cell size)

PDB = Para Dichloro Benzene (aka Paramoth wax moth treatment)

PF-100 and PF-120 = Not so much an acronym but could be mistaken for one. A small cell one piece plastic frame available from Mann Lake. Measures 4.95mm cell size. Users report excellent acceptance and perfectly drawn cells.

PMS = Parasitic Mite Syndrome

PPB = Piss Poor Beekeeping

QMP = Queen Mandibular Pheromone

SBB = Screened Bottom Board aka Open Mesh Floor

SBV = Sac Brood Virus

SC = Small Cell (4.9mm cell size or South Carolina)

SHB = Small Hive Beetle

SMR = Suppressed Mite Reproduction (usually referring to a queen)

TBH = Top Bar Hive

TM = Terramycin or Tracheal Mites depending on the context

T-Mites = Tracheal Mites

TTBH = Tanzanian Top Bar Hive (one with vertical sides)

ULBN = Unlimited Brood Nest

VD = Varroa destructor

VJ = Varroa jacobsoni

V-Mites = Varroa Mites

VSH = Varroa Sensitive Hygiene. Similar to and appears to be a more specific name for the SMR trait. A trait in queens that is being bred for where the workers sense Varroa infested cells and clean them out.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything