Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flow Hive  (Read 12797 times)

Offline beeutiful

• New Bee
Re: Flow Hive
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2016, 06:31:46 am »
Please keep us updated Yantabulla, I am really curious to see what they are like :)

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2016, 07:20:42 am »
No problems.  I have been waiting for the price to drop a bit.  I'll give it a workout in August & report back.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 09:49:06 am »
Yantabulla how did you find the flow-hive? I love the idea but im a bit negative towards it and can't see it working long term, hope im wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 07:46:28 pm »
I would love to see Alice Springs someday.  Good luck.
I'm sure Alice Springs would love to see you too!
And thanks for a lovely summary of the FH.
We get quite often a flow which can crystalize in the hive. How would you get the honey out?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2016, 07:56:11 pm »
Max
I would put the super in my heater box. It is set for 104 degrees F.
The design/plans came from this site.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 08:29:05 pm »
Yantabulla how did you find the flow-hive? I love the idea but im a bit negative towards it and can't see it working long term, hope im wrong

Sydney Guy my flow hive is working perfectly  Plonked the flow frames on top of a strong double & they filled it up in a few weeks.  No brushing with wax of spraying sugar syrup. I haven't had a chance to extract from it yet however I have seen frames being extracted & once again they work.  I met Stuart Anderson recently at a beekeeping club meeting.  He is a humble person who is generally interested in the welfare of bees & beekeeping.   In my opinion any issues with acceptance of the flow frames by bees is because the hive is too weak or not on a nectar flow.  I don't think flow hives are going away any time soon. 

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 09:02:26 pm »
Thats awesome, I thought there would be issues with shb and things like that. I will try one out one day if I win lotto, it would make a cool toy to play around with.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 09:11:17 pm »
We get quite often a flow which can crystalize in the hive. How would you get the honey out?
At 150 degrees all wax and honey would come out but it is unlikely you would have to elevate the temperature that high.  Better to extract before it crystallizes.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2016, 03:16:02 am »
Max

Jim
I wonder if this is warm enough? The heat would have to get through the plastic frames.
Anybody with this experience?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2016, 07:23:24 am »
Max

Jim
I wonder if this is warm enough? The heat would have to get through the plastic frames.
Anybody with this experience?
In about 24 hours it would all bee melted. The problem would not bee the plastic. I stack it full of glass jars and plastic bears and turn all of the solidified honey to a liquid.
My biggest concern would bee if you had tried to harvest it and all of the wax was opened. I would have to place a pan below the frames to keep from making a mess of the heater box.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2016, 09:37:03 am »
My biggest concern would bee if you had tried to harvest it and all of the wax was opened. I would have to place a pan below the frames to keep from making a mess of the heater box.
Jim

Like this:
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Extractor/P1030988.jpg
Clear plastic bin and a three sided eke to blow hot air up through the stack.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline RobboWA

• New Bee
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 07:26:04 pm »
Hi Team,

A year on, what are your thoughts/performance on the flow hives? I'm interested to see how they will hold up over time?

Cheers,
Clint

anything