Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spearfishing  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Gunsmoke58A

• New Bee
  • Just a bloke with too many nerdy hobbies
Spearfishing
« on: November 18, 2021, 06:05:02 pm »
I've recently expanded my hunting to underwater as well as terrestrial.  Having a blast and the fresh fish is the best!  These are Red Morwong.  Some people don't rate them as a good table fish but my kids love them!
Arte et Marte

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Spearfishing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 08:23:53 pm »
Gunsmoke58A
That looks to be a fun and rewarding hobby! Those fish look plenty big enough to offer a good bit of meat. Do you fillet them? How long have you been diving? I do not know very much about your country. Do you have the concern of sharks when in the habitat of this species of fish? Please excuse the bombardment of questions. This is very interesting to me... Thanks for posting this....

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Gunsmoke58A

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 08:28:29 pm »
Gunsmoke58A
That looks to be a fun and rewarding hobby! Those fish look plenty big enough to offer a good bit of meat. Do you fillet them? How long have you been diving? I do not know very much about your country. Do you have the concern of sharks when in the habitat of this species of fish? Please excuse the bombardment of questions. This is very interesting to me... Thanks for posting this....

Phillip

Ask away Phillip! 

I've been freediving for about 8 months now.  I fillet most fish I catch as I find it more versatile to cook fillet than whole fish.  I see at least a couple of sharks every time we dive.  Yesterday I saw 3 very large Wobbegong sharks, usually harmless but can be territoral.  I was following some target fish into a small cave to shoot one and was focussed on them, meanwhile a 2.5m Wobbe was lying just below me camoflagued with the bottom LOL, gave me a fright!

But most sharks aren't going to bother divers.
Arte et Marte

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 10:35:08 pm »
Nice job, but you will not catch me swimming around with a bloody fish tied to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 10:57:52 pm »
Ask away Phillip!

I've been freediving for about 8 months now.  I fillet most fish I catch as I find it more versatile to cook fillet than whole fish.  I see at least a couple of sharks every time we dive.  Yesterday I saw 3 very large Wobbegong sharks, usually harmless but can be territoral.  I was following some target fish into a small cave to shoot one and was focussed on them, meanwhile a 2.5m Wobbe was lying just below me camoflagued with the bottom LOL, gave me a fright!

But most sharks aren't going to bother divers.

I like it. This is something I would really like to do! Thanks for the refreshing topic!!

Phillip

PS: Keep us posted with updates and pictures...

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Gunsmoke58A

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 05:19:05 am »
Nice job, but you will not catch me swimming around with a bloody fish tied to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't keep the fish on me. I string them onto my float line or throw them in the boat.  The stringer system keeps the fish at least 10m away from me. But it's not dead fish that really attracts sharks. It's injured fish. So I spoke them in the brain and then Gill and gut them and then thread them on the line. Simple.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 06:35:52 am by Gunsmoke58A »
Arte et Marte

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 07:57:26 pm »
Gunsmoke58A
Do you take underwater photos while you are spearfishing?

Offline Gunsmoke58A

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 02:51:54 pm »
No but some mates of mine run gopros while we dive.  Next time we go out together I'll see if they can get some good footage.  Found a good abalone spot last Friday and now my daughter LOVES it and I've been instructed to bring some home every dive LOL, kids.
Arte et Marte

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 03:02:09 pm »
> No but some mates of mine run gopros while we dive.  Next time we go out together I'll see if they can get some good footage. 

Thanks, I look forward to the footage. The group idea makes for good fellowship!

> Found a good abalone spot last Friday and now my daughter LOVES it and I've been instructed to bring some home every dive LOL, kids.

Lol:   😊    I am with the kids!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 12:31:00 pm »
Gunsmoke, you have spoiled me with curiosity of your sport. I sure would like to see an update of your latest diving and spearfishing adventures.  :grin:

Thanks,

Phillip