Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2021 Hunting Pics  (Read 8524 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: 2021 Hunting Pics
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 05:33:23 pm »

What you want for the .357? It would go nice beside my 1894 .44Mag

So, I went and found my 357. She had nestled herself in between 2 1894 44 mag's. She allowed-as-how she was quite comfortable. Then she politely, but firmly, reminded me about all the years I spent searching for her - in her condition. ... I don't think she's of a mind to be moved. I'm sorry about that. But I checked for you anyways.  :cheesy: :cheesy: :wink:

(P.S. - she said she was really looking forward to the new-comer ... I think the 2 of them are going to hit it off :shocked:)
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 05:36:57 pm »
Sound like she?s a little too opinionated. You shouldn?t let her push you around like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 05:39:28 pm »
Stroll on over to MarlinOwners.com, we call your condition Marlinitis. However you have a variant that sounds like you are plagued by more than just Marlins.
Most definitely - Leveritis maybe.

Stroll on over to MarlinOwners.com, we call your condition Marlinitis. However you have a variant that sounds like you are plagued by more than just Marlins.

1941 Winchester 94 in .30WCF

As far as the bolts go, my favorite is the Winchester M70 Featherweight Compact. It?s a 7mm-08 and it?s what I?ve been using on the elk hunts. It?s a sweet little packable gun.

Beautiful! ... I'll have to dig out some pics ...

There's something very special about filling a tag with a lever action. Next fall, a few of us are heading to Alaska for black bear. The Win Model 71's will be going along. I can't wait!!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 05:42:39 pm »
Sound like she?s a little too opinionated. You shouldn?t let her push you around like that.

I know. I beat my Bolt guns up, over, and around every mountain I can find ... but I've a soft spot for a Lever that Barks Back. I'll forgive her - again.  :grin:

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2021, 05:45:31 pm »
Most definitely - Leveritis maybe.

1941 Winchester 94 in .30WCF

As far as the bolts go, my favorite is the Winchester M70 Featherweight Compact. It?s a 7mm-08 and it?s what I?ve been using on the elk hunts. It?s a sweet little packable gun.

Beautiful! ... I'll have to dig out some pics ...

There's something very special about filling a tag with a lever action. Next fall, a few of us are heading to Alaska for black bear. The Win Model 71's will be going along. I can't wait!!
Dig up pictures, oh, let?s do!

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
2021 Hunting Pics
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2021, 10:45:49 pm »
CoolBees,
Here are a couple more Marlins for you.

The top one is the 1894CB .45-70 with a long octagonal barrel. I added a grind to fit field pad to it. The bottom one is the 1895CBA .47-70. It has an 18 inch octagonal barrel. I cut an inch off the stock since then and added the same pad, but I wanted to maintain the short length to be used as a bear gun in Griz country. I figure it might go to camp with me on a caribou hunt we are planning. Both are now wearing Ranger Point sights also.

Marlin .308MX. That was their version of a spire point bullet in a lever. It?s very close to a .308 win.

A little 39a with a skinner sight.

And the 1894 in .44 Mag with a skinner sight.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2021, 07:38:30 pm »
"Technology" has been kicking my butt, trying to get old pics. Anyways:

A Bear I took with the 44 mag (this was 2012).

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2021, 07:43:13 pm »
The 45 colt and 45-70 are 2 that I don't have yet. I've owned the 45 Colt in several platforms over the years, but not the Lever ... yet ...

The 45-70 is an excellent cartridge in Alaska and Canada imho. What a great camp gun!

Here are some more Pictures

Pigs - my son with a Remington Sendero

Spring Turkeys - Archery - I LOVE shooting turkeys with a Bow.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2021, 07:47:00 pm »
On my wish-list, is one of these Lever Actions in 460 S&W. I think this would make a wonderful Alaska camp-gun. https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/model-90-460-sw/

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2021, 09:29:51 pm »
"Technology" has been kicking my butt, trying to get old pics. Anyways:

A Bear I took with the 44 mag (this was 2012).

That bear is on my wish list. We used to go run dogs wish some folks when I was a kid, but I haven?t been since. I remember it being super tender. One day?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2021, 09:46:43 pm »
Alan that bear looks to be a big one comparing the front leg and paw to the rifle.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2021, 10:31:08 pm »
The 45 colt and 45-70 are 2 that I don't have yet. I've owned the 45 Colt in several platforms over the years, but not the Lever ... yet ...

The 45-70 is an excellent cartridge in Alaska and Canada imho. What a great camp gun!

Here are some more Pictures

Pigs - my son with a Remington Sendero

Spring Turkeys - Archery - I LOVE shooting turkeys with a Bow.

Must have been a nice spring day. Often our turkey season still has 30s in the morning, but the last week or two you might end up in flops too by the afternoon.
Nice job.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2021, 10:32:31 pm »
On my wish-list, is one of these Lever Actions in 460 S&W. I think this would make a wonderful Alaska camp-gun. https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/model-90-460-sw/
I like that case colored one. I used to have a M94 in .44 that was case colored.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2021, 10:34:01 pm »
I can?t tell if it?s just the light or if that?s a brown phase.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2021, 11:28:42 pm »
Looking back through some pics again. This was a fun one.
I had 6 does slip right up under me. I picked one out and when they were all within 20 yards I took a shot with my Ruger GP100. She mule kicked at the shot and took off with two of the other does. The other three just snapped to alert. What else happened at the shot, was a buck that had come in just behind the does while I was distracted with them came to full alert and I saw his head pop straight up, also within 20 yards at that point, but off to the side a touch. He immediately started to slip off through the thickening edge habitat never presenting a shot. He made it to about 35 yards and entered the overgrown area that had been timbered a few years earlier. I could follow him but he kept putting distance between us, and the brush was impossible. I put up the revolver and took my rifle off the hanger and kept on him. He paused and looked back one last time at 50 yards and the only clear spot on his body was a softball path through the cutover right over his chest. I sent a 180 grain soft point from my .300 WinMag and he just buckled.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2021, 05:25:02 pm »
Wow, that Buck is huge. The pair make for a good days hunt.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2021, 05:52:56 pm »
That is a nice buck, looks more like a young steer with antlers. :)

Good pictures folks...
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2021, 06:35:06 pm »
That is a nice buck, looks more like a young steer with antlers. :)

Good pictures folks...
I looked a little younger too. We kinda deviated from the 2021 part once we got on levers, but as long as we are on guns and game, who cares. It?s fun conversation.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2021, 06:44:42 pm »
>I looked a little younger too. We kinda deviated from the 2021 part once we got on levers, but as long as we are on guns and game,

I started to ask you who that your fellow was in the picture? lol
I thought the same about Alan until he explained it was his son with the boar.. I was thinking what a difference in age appearance a shave makes.. You fellows keep up the good post and pictures. I think many of us really enjoy them.

>who cares. It's fun conversation.

Agreed :grin:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2021, 08:02:06 pm »
That bear is on my wish list. We used to go run dogs wish some folks when I was a kid, but I haven?t been since. I remember it being super tender. One day?

You definitely should, if you get the chance. That bear was taken with dogs. California outlawed dogs for bear in 2012, so I went in both 2011 & 2012, just to try it before it was gone. I wasn't really looking forward to it (thought I wouldn't like it) - but it was awesome! The dogs never hurt the bears. The bears never hurt the dogs. The bear runs until it's tired, and climbs a tree. You get to look at the bear and make an informed decision.

I looked at a lot of bears both years. The guide had other clients, but he and I had become friends, so I got first-right-of-refusal on every bear. I turned down Sows, Cubs, and smaller Boars. Other clients took some of them. Late in the 2012 season, I figured I wouldn't get one, and then the guides friend calls and says, "Get that guy over here ASAP - I've got his bear treed". ... It took us a while - but we got there. It was a very nice bear for California.

Funny side-story: I recovered 2 perfectly (fully) mushroomed 240 gr Hornady HP-XTP's from that bear. At home, I'd ask people if they'd like to see my "Pair of Dice" - I'd shake those 2 bullets in my hand and roll them out onto the table like dice. I kept them for a year of so - showing every naive californian that came by - and watching them try to figure out what they were looking at. (Of course I had to tell them eventually  :shocked:) It amused me greatly ... then the cleaning lady found them on my bar one day, and threw them out as trash. Of course I didn't realize it for a couple weeks ... talk about un-replaceable! Oh well. She didn't know. ... I still miss my "Pair of Dice"!  :grin:

I can?t tell if it?s just the light or if that?s a brown phase.

He's dark, almost black, with a touch of deep chocolate.

anything