Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How Much Humidity is Too Much for Sugar Roll Mite Checks?  (Read 2037 times)

Alklar20

How Much Humidity is Too Much for Sugar Roll Mite Checks?
« on: July 10, 2021, 10:35:29 am »
Hello. I was considering using the sugar roll method for doing mite checks on my beehives, but I read online that high humidity could skew the results of the sugar roll method. I live in Washington, which has a very moist climate, so I'm thinking about possibly doing the alcohol wash instead. But before I do that, I wanted to get someone's opinion on how much humidity is too much for the sugar roll method.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: How Much Humidity is Too Much for Sugar Roll Mite Checks?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 11:01:51 am »
I also live in a very humid climate (for example, my outdoor hygrometer is reading 93% right now), and I use sugar rolls as my go-to method of mite checks.  I doubt that the humidity would have a significant effect on the roll unless your sugar is clumping as a result of the moisture.  As long as your sugar is nice and powdery, I think it should be okay.  Sugar rolls are not as accurate as alcohol washes, plain and simple, but I don't like to kill bees every few weeks do to a mite check I so prefer the sugar roll.  To help compensate for the greater margin of error in a sugar roll, I multiply the number of mites in the roll by 1.3, on the recommendation of a very experienced member here, and I've had no trouble with accuracy since using that method.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How Much Humidity is Too Much for Sugar Roll Mite Checks?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 01:35:29 pm »
The most important thing is to shake them long enough and give a little time for the mites to fall off.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything