BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Hived another swarm

(1/2) > >>

AustinB:
Got another swarm last week. My neighbor said he had a beehive that needed removing from a public tour area where he works; I was happy to oblige. Went after dark and taped up the holes in the barrel and brought it home on the truck. Carefully extracted the bees the next morning, found the queen and marked her. Kids and I had a great time and the bees are happy in their new home. We put the barrel back where it was hoping it will be our seasonal swarm trap  :cool:

FatherMichael:
Awesome!

Ben Framed:
Yes the whole situation sounds awesome! You are right. This should wind up being a yearly swarm trap! And this season is not over yet. Keep an eye on this barrel. It is a possibility that you may catch another one this year with this arrangement. Keep up the good work!

AustinB:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on May 18, 2021, 07:06:44 pm ---Yes the whole situation sounds awesome! You are right. This should wind up being a yearly swarm trap! And this season is not over yet. Keep an eye on this barrel. It is a possibility that you may catch another one this year with this arrangement. Keep up the good work!

--- End quote ---
Thanks Ben! Yeah maybe that will end up being my yearly bonus swarm catcher haha! I am told there is a hive nearby in the woods. So I may still setup a swarm trap near there with some lemongrass oil still this year. Plus I still have a cut out to do in my neighbors chimney. Will definitely have to post pictures of that one :)

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: AustinB on May 18, 2021, 09:38:03 pm ---
--- Quote from: Ben Framed on May 18, 2021, 07:06:44 pm ---Yes the whole situation sounds awesome! You are right. This should wind up being a yearly swarm trap! And this season is not over yet. Keep an eye on this barrel. It is a possibility that you may catch another one this year with this arrangement. Keep up the good work!

--- End quote ---
Thanks Ben! Yeah maybe that will end up being my yearly bonus swarm catcher haha! I am told there is a hive nearby in the woods. So I may still setup a swarm trap near there with some lemongrass oil still this year. Plus I still have a cut out to do in my neighbors chimney. Will definitely have to post pictures of that one :)

--- End quote ---

Wow, you are on the ball! I looked at a potential cutout in a chimney once but it was not doable. I hope yours is. Those boys will pro beekeepers in no time! lol

When you were dealing bees before, had varroa mites entered into the beekeeping scene?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version