Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any else ever saw...  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Any else ever saw...
« on: April 27, 2021, 02:39:33 pm »
A egg hanging out of a Queen?  Saw this Sunday during any inspection. It took probably 15-20 seconds before it just fell out. Anyone got a reason why or seen this before?  This little nuc still hasn?t taken off. Been struggling all spring. Wonder if the issue is her.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Any else ever saw...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 02:57:53 pm »
I often see this in young queens that are just beginning to lay.  I think it is because they have not developed their egg laying skills, but it may be because they are attempting to lay at a high rate.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Any else ever saw...
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 05:57:51 pm »
I see it in normal hives.  It can simply mean you interrupted her. I have had queens that I had just put into a cage be dropping eggs in the cage. A queen in full lay cannot stop abruptly.  Seen queens walking along the comb and leaving eggs behind, being too nervous to back into a cell while I had the frame out and watching.
In other words, you should not be concerned about it unless the brood pattern is really poor.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 06:41:40 pm »
I saw this once as well.  One of my queens was actively laying with her rear end in a cell when I pulled the frame up, and instead of finishing laying, she walked away with the egg still attached. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:02:21 pm »
That makes sense. Thanks for replies.

anything