Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: California queen cage screen  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
California queen cage screen
« on: April 22, 2021, 08:48:12 pm »
I have purchased queens in the past. They were shipped in the old fashion wood type three hole California queen cages. During the winter months with extra time I made up several of these. My question before I add the screen, will regular window screen be adequate or is that too small? Thanks
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: California queen cage screen
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:39:52 pm »
Good question I'm thinking 1/8th mesh.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 09:41:09 pm »
Ben, count the number of squares per inch of screen and use the same mesh.  Ten squares per inch is number 10 screen.  My screen is number 16 wire on a standard Ca queen holder, not the newer mini.  My queen frame is number 8 wire.  My front porch is number 20 wire.  Hope this helps, Buddy.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 09:57:02 pm »
Ben, count the number of squares per inch of screen and use the same mesh.  Ten squares per inch is number 10 screen.  My screen is number 16 wire on a standard Ca queen holder, not the newer mini.  My queen frame is number 8 wire.  My front porch is number 20 wire.  Hope this helps, Buddy.

Thanks Mr Van..... 🙂
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 10:04:30 pm »
Good question I'm thinking 1/8th mesh.

Thanks Mr Mcquilkin. I have some number 8 that I used for oil trays when I was making oil traps for SHB. It does look similar but slightly larger where as regular window screen looks smaller. I was thinking the nurse bees should be able to tend to the queens through this screen if I were to bank a few mated queens for a rainy day, but on second thought, I thought better to be safe than sorry. I will count the holes as Mr Van described on one of the original cages where queens were shipped to me. Thank y'all for your replies.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:37:59 pm »
> My screen is number 16 wire on a standard Ca queen holder, not the newer mini.

Got it thanks!

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 09:08:57 am »
I would be afraid of them being able to sting the queen through No. 8.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 09:35:29 am »

You may be right rast.  Mr Vans are 16. I am glad of this. 16 is what I have plenty of. About the time he must have been posting , I found a video by Joe May explaining how he builds queen cages. Though he did not state the mesh size in the video, I found in the comment section where someone ask him if he uses number 8. He gave a quick No. He said he uses number 10. but 10 is hard to find. He went on to say 10 is the same size packages are shipped in, he uses screen from old package empties. Since 16 works for Mr Van, I am confident. My main concern if using my aluminum window screen was if the nurse bees could feed the mated queens through this smaller screen during times of banking.  (I figured they could but wanted to be sure). Thanks again Mr Van and along with each of you and your interest and comments.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 01:10:50 pm »
good point  I watched some videos and it seems window screen works well
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great