Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apigaurd in Hot temps  (Read 1228 times)

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
Apigaurd in Hot temps
« on: March 29, 2021, 01:57:28 pm »
Last year after a July 4 honey harvest, my mite numbers were creeping up.  I hit them with a combination of OA and Apivar.  After doing so, most of my washes were a zero.  I?m hearing that a lot of bigger beeks than myself had issues with Apivar.  I liked the results I had, but I do hate the price of Apivar.

Some people have mentioned Apigaurd, but I?m scared to use during the Mississippi summer; however, some reading led me to some people using half doses during high heat.  Do any of y?all have any experience with Apigaurd in high temps?
@burleybeeyard

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Apigaurd in Hot temps
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 05:39:31 pm »
Burley, I started a topic Titled "16:48 On The Shop Tile Method Partnered with (University OF Georgia)" which should help you in basically answering your question and probably others. It is a very good source of information in my opinion.  Check it out.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Apigaurd in Hot temps
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 05:48:01 pm »
Burley you might find this interesting on formic. Which was posted Dec 2019. Just some shared thoughts I had at that time. I hope the following will help.

Re: Scientific study comparing effects on honeybees of: Oxalic acid and Formic acid.
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 02:44:57 am ?
Quote Ben Framed

Good post Mr Van, no doubt that formic can, will, and does kill queens. I have no experience in using it. However, I have been of late struggling to educate myself in the (art) and yes I said (art) of using this organic acid. I have started topics here asking questions, as well as commenting on other topics related to this subject. I have asked many question and received many conflicting answers.  And not only questions here at beemaster, but to beekeepers from all over the world through other means. Let me clarify that beemaster is the only forum that I am a member of, but the world is large and round. Youtube is an excellent alternate source of information concerning honey bees. Not only watching the videos, to see and hear what is being done and said, but also I have found that the comment section below the videos to be a wealth and treasure chest of information. It seems the video makers are eager to help answer most questions on that platform regardless of country of origin. I have found that keepers from all over the world experiment and use formic. Again some are very successful users as some not so much. I have found that many opinions, from folks first hand experience using formic  to vary from person to person, keeper to keeper, and sometimes country to country. Germany, I have found by talking to keepers there, is really big and successful in using formic, as well as scientific in the use of formic. Without putting the stuff to the test myself, I can in no wise promote the use of it, nor will I.  However on the other hand I cannot deny or dismiss the benefits of formic as presented by many many successful users. This is where the word art comes into play, or really art is only one description, science should be the stronger term used. Because to use formic successfully, from all I have gathered is an artful-science. The conclusion that I have reached is an ongoing study, Which is really not a conclusion at all but an ongoing education of this product. I have reached a certain point that I would not be afraid to try, at least the flash method IF I was at the point that a hive was showing sure sign of decline or collapse regardless of how diligently I had treated with OAV.  What would I have to lose if the hive is dying anyway? And as we who have studied such things, and still are studying such things,  know that even OAV diligent users sometimes lose the battle.  I have tried to convey an unbiased opinion until I can say that I have reached a concrete conclusion. Maybe this helps? Lets keep plugging at the pest of bees and learning together.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.