Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle Management  (Read 956 times)

Offline StarrGin

• New Bee
Small Hive Beetle Management
« on: March 28, 2021, 02:39:29 pm »
I've been a hobby bee keeper for a few years.  I've noticed SHB in my hives.  They've only been a notable problem in weak hives that ultimately failed.  I've tried trapping with modest results, but not as successful as I would like.

Another keeper I spoken with told me the best way to manage SHB is hive movement.  SHB larva leave the hive and burrow in the ground to pupate.  I would assume they burrow in the ground under or nearby the hive. 

Is there any way to know (seasonally) when larva would leave the hive?
Is there any recommendation ground treatments that would kill the larva/pupa?
Is there any recommendation on the distance the hive should be moved?

Thanks.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Small Hive Beetle Management
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 03:10:27 pm »
Hi Mr. Star.  I lime the soil, gently scratch in the dirt below the entrance.  I use powered lime about a cup per hive.  The soil becomes so alkaline the larva are toasted in their tracks.

I use a can a freeze spray for adult beetle.  Freeze spray is minus 62F at the tip.  Cans are available at the large retailer on the web.  Non toxic and nonflammable, the spray is used to blow off dust on computer chips and to remove warts/moles on people.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle Management
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:11:54 pm »
Traps work better with veggie oil than with mineral oil. Probably 5:1 more beetles in the veggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk