Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many supers to add?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
How many supers to add?
« on: March 26, 2021, 01:21:18 pm »
I run all deeps.  Last year I didn?t have any drawn comb.  This year I have 2 deeps worth of drawn honey supers.  Last year I check my main hive on May 3rd when privet was busting open and I had slap full supers.  Is adding those 2 deeps at once too much? Or should I add 1 and then the other a week or so later?

I just feel if I time it right, that I may be able to capitalize on that drawn comb.
@burleybeeyard

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: How many supers to add?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:24:04 pm »
Timing is the right idea. I would wait a week or two and check of the progress of the first supper. Then go from there.

Adding, when there is a heavy flow on they can fillip a box pretty quick. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 03:29:06 pm »
Pretty quick means 1 deep frame per day in a good flow. I would check the first box in a week and add the second when 8 are being worked, but not filled.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 12:08:36 am »
It depends a bit on whether you are going to harvest honey or stack it.
If you want to harvest it  soon then let them almost fill the super before you add the next one, under the full super.
If you want to stack it then what Iddee says will work.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
How many supers to add?
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 02:14:46 am »
The bees need 1.5 boxes of space to work the nectar for each box of ripened honey that is made. If you want 2 boxes of honey give them 3 boxes.
As for how much to give them for how long, that depends entirely on the type of crop that is yielding and the strength of the foraging force of the hive. My mid summer flows on any decent hive is capable of filling a 10 frame deep in 4 days.  I take 2 boxes of honey off and give them 3 completely empty ones all at once.  7 to 10 days later two boxes are full ready to harvest and the third is mostly full but not quite yet ready.
The point is they need extra space to work and if you do not give it to them you are losing out on honey-money production capacity.
So, you see we really cannot properly answer your question because we do not know the strength of your hive(s) nor do we know your forage and flow conditions.
Location matters on this topic and the best place and persons to ask about seasonal flows and box fill rates are members of your local beekeeping club.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 02:24:55 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 02:49:05 am »
The bees need 1.5 boxes of space to work the nectar for each box of ripened honey that is made. If you want 2 boxes of honey give them 3 boxes.
As for how much to give them for how long, that depends entirely on the type of crop that is yielding and the strength of the foraging force of the hive. My mid summer flows on any decent hive is capable of filling a 10 frame deep in 4 days.  I take 2 boxes of honey off and give them 3 completely empty ones all at once.  7 to 10 days later two boxes are full ready to harvest and the third is mostly full but not quite yet ready.
The point is they need extra space to work and if you do not give it to them you are losing out on honey-money production capacity.
So, you see we really cannot properly answer your question because we do not know the strength of your hive(s) nor do we know your forage and flow conditions.
Location matters on this topic and the best place and persons to ask about seasonal flows and box fill rates are members of your local beekeeping club.

Awesome answer.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 10:59:26 am »
http://pinkpages.chrisbacherconsulting.com/2002_Apr_-_Supering_Swarming_and_Splitting.html

Mark that was a very informative article. I printed it for the files! Thanks!

I do have one question though to you well seasoned beekeepers.  I was under the impression we move the original queen to the new set up and place the new mated queen in the old box and its location. Leading the colony to think the Original Hive has swarmed. I think this fellow is suggestion just the opposite unless I am not understanding. Does it make a difference?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:34:02 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 01:39:17 pm »
HP good answer, It is all local and you need to stay ahead of the honey flow, or you miss out on some of the crop. If I check colonies and its super are full I know that I have missed out on some of the flow. The other thing If you don't keep ahead and the supers they will start backfilling the brood nest and could possibly swarm. Setting up a regular inspection schedule helps and I normally keep at least a box ahead of the bees at all times.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 01:45:35 pm »
HP,
Thanks.  I never realized that they need the extra space. I will have to start doing that.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin