Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Below Zero Weather and they survived  (Read 1036 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Below Zero Weather and they survived
« on: March 24, 2021, 04:34:04 pm »
Yesterday a friend showed me a surviving open hive under a large Walnut tree limb, about 20 feet above ground. I saw them last fall and said "They will never make it but they did". There is a small swarm left and they are working. I looked for dead bees under hive and found none.  In February the temp got down to 1 or 2 degrees below zero.  New respect for our friends, they are tough.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
Re: Below Zero Weather and they survived
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 05:54:36 pm »
That's amazing!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:02:59 pm »
Thanks Paus, good to know info.  I did not realize an open hive could survive such temps.  Tip your hat to those bees for me.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 10:53:34 am »
There is a lot of energy in honey!  They turned that energy into heat, which helped the colony survive a week of winter in the open.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

anything