Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are you using for swarm traps?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
What are you using for swarm traps?
« on: March 18, 2021, 08:11:05 am »
I made some tall swarm boxes, several years ago, from the horizontalhives.com website. When I make more, I will probably make standard deep hive bodies with solid bottom boards and migratory lids.
These might be harder to hang, but they can house a new swarm for weeks. My present ones have a lot of empty space under the 6 deep frames held at the top, and the bees can build a lot of cross comb in that void.
What do you all use for bait traps?

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: What are you using for swarm traps?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 10:39:39 am »
Nothing fancy.  Just an old hive box and a migratory lid with some frames and a couple dabs of queen lure.  It works.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 11:46:48 am »
Have a few empty nucs and medium boxes setting around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 03:09:35 pm »
Double nuc, with a solid bottom, 5 frames in the top nuc. opening in the top nuc

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 04:14:17 pm »
Two years ago I made six 40L swarm traps that worked well.  Living in a rainforest, the environment has not been kind to the plywood and all have separation issues now, despite a good painting when they were built. 

This year, I've already caught 2 swarms in the last month using the 8-frame hives that I use in by bee yard.  Having read The Honeybee Democracy over the winter, I approached my setup a bit more methodically this year.  I put in only 4 frames the 8-frame body: 2 drawn out frames of comb and 2 frames with just foundation; I left the remaining space empty so the scouts feel like there's room for expansion.  A spritz of SC to the underside of the inner cover and another spritz at the entrance and that's it.  100% success so far this month (2 of 2).  Going to place another two out this week after all the rain subsides.

Aside from not having to make a special trap box like I did prior, I don't have to transfer them as they're moving themselves right into their permanent hive from the get-go--just relocate!  I place all of my traps at 3-4' from the ground--no concern for the bees it seems, and it's easy for me to check, service and move.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 06:06:49 pm »
Two hives and three nucs.

We are just now clear of winter weather, though it was 34*F this morning.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 06:39:02 pm »
I use 5 and 6 frame Nuc boxes, 5 of them with one old frame and 4-5 empty frames and a double medium 10 frame box with only 9 empty frames, one old black drawn frame, the bottom medium is empty.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything