Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is your method of storing comb?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
What is your method of storing comb?
« on: March 17, 2021, 02:34:56 pm »
What is your method of storing comb?
The most efficient method I have seen is Ian Stepplers? method. If I remember correctly he stores his in a Refer Trailer. That way he can freeze it and kill any wax moths or eggs right off the bat. Of course he has enough hives to justify this. 😊
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: What is your method of storing comb?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 03:16:08 pm »
Well I may get a chest freezer as I lost all mine this year to wax moths, I had 5 drawn supers I froze the we had a large cedar chest, last year no issues this year all gone  :cry:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 03:32:22 pm »
Well I may get a chest freezer as I lost all mine this year to wax moths, I had 5 drawn supers I froze the we had a large cedar chest, last year no issues this year all gone  :cry:

Sorry to hear that jtcmedic. I know the feeling happened to me season before last.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 05:17:32 pm »
I built a 4x8 "shed' with translucent roof.  Hung the frames about 1 inch apart on parallel 8' rows.  Six rows total.
had problems with raccoons so I added chicken wire sides.  Worked ok for the past two years. 

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 06:01:44 pm »
After the ladies clean them up I freeze them at below 28 degrees for a few days.  Then I stack them in my closed enclosed unheated garage on a top and covered it with top.  Any gapes I tape.  No issues.  You really need to freeze them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 08:13:56 pm »
ParaMoth.  Would be nice to have a freeze trailer as Ian.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 08:30:12 pm »
I freeze for a day or two, and then I put drawn blanks stacked up in boxes with a few mothballs and I tape down an inner cover on the top of the stack.  I actually do this with totally empty frames too, since I had mice get in and make nests in the stacks and chew on my wood 2 years ago.  Any frames with sections of capped honey or pollen I put in plastic bins.

Watch out for those tornadoes, Phillip.  I see most of your state is in the particularly dangerous area.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 08:31:42 pm »
Let the girls clean them up stack them and then store them with paramoth. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:03:17 pm »
Thank you all for your responses. I agree you Mr Van. Ian has a good thing!  Have any of you heard of XenTari? You can read of this on Bee Source. It is a powered microbial. According to a video that I watched recently from Ken Davis. He says it has been used by beekeepers since 2000. Its a bacterium that the worm eats and puts them out. From what I understand it is not a poison but a natural fighter of the wax worm. I do not know much about this and was wondering if any of you here might have tried this or have heard of this? It is from what I understand has been approved as safe. If any of this is wrong, please correct me.
I am not recommending this but I am wondering your thoughts on this.

https://youtu.be/fa50FhkreHw

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 09:35:54 pm »
 I have used Xentari also for years. It was the only replacement for the original Certan. I will be getting my supers and comb down soon and see how it worked this winter. Requires working off a ladder and not real anxious by myself right now.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:15:18 pm »
I tried B.T. or (Xentari) a couple years ago.  I couldn't tell much of a difference.  But I didn't track the frames very well with the increase in hive numbers that I had over the last couple years.  It would probably work better with just a few hives that you could mark the frames and keep track of it.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 03:53:12 pm »
Good thread--I've been struggling with wax moths this winter too, as well as rats chewing stored comb.  Getting ready to assemble a bee shed for my equipment to clear out the garage.  Need to research the XenTari...sounds promising.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 09:05:01 pm »
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 07:54:18 am »
Up north it is easy.  Winter kills everything so I left boxes of frames out in the bee yard.
Down here it is a different story although I have but a few drawn frames and presently they are left in the open under a breezeway.  As yet no signs yet of them being attacked.  The frames are open not in a box.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 01:44:35 pm »
Brian,
The boxes are ok because our weather is cool enough to keep the moths from laying, for the most part. Wait another month and that will change.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 05:10:15 pm »
Jim we are in the 80-90's.  I am in my pool.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 03:55:21 pm »
I have a chest freezer that any comb goes in that is suspect. Other than that it all goes on para-moth. lid, Box with comb,piece of cardboard,(old beer carton cut up, 2 teaspoons of paramoth on that, another box etc. till i cant stack anymore. Start all over again  I used to tape all the joints but no longer do that. But I have found the freezer to be indispensable.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 05:14:42 pm »
Jim we are in the 80-90's.  I am in my pool.

80F and 90F, sounds so warm and in the pool to boot,  you bragging Ace? while us poor ol beeks North of you are chilling?

I would think with your temps, moths are laying.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 06:14:22 pm »
Not seeing anything yet on the open frames.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it