Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starve Out Questions  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Starve Out Questions
« on: March 13, 2021, 12:57:35 pm »
I had a starve out during the big freeze. This was a thriving double. Except for lack of food. When inspected I found frames of capped brood with frozen bees all around the brood with their heads in the hollow cells. If I put this in another hive will this cause some type of bacterial infection being the dead capped brood is still a little moist?

To Simplify, will the nurse bees become ill as they remove what I would assume id half rotted dead larva by now? Will this cause a chalk brood or some other type illness?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Starve Out Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:54:40 pm »
Depends on your weather conditions.  Are you into nice warm sunny days with lots of flight, so they can go out to dump the garbage?   If so, go for it.   If no, put the frames in a freezer to wait for summer like days.  The receiving colony also has to be strong. 
As for illness from cleaning. Only a problem if it is illness that killed the colony.  Always bee sure of what killed them before deploying the equipment to another colony.  Else the new bees will just suffer the same fate.

Hope that helps
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Starve Out Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 02:16:14 pm »
Thank you Mr Honey Pump. Yes sir that are plenty warm now. And I certain that starved. So I?m going for it. Thanks again.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:39:05 pm »
I agree with TheHoneyPump.  If the frames are over half filled with junk, I will usually cut it out.  I think it would take longer for them to clean  it up then to build new comb.  I also try not to put too many junky frames on a single strong hive at one time.  I've got plenty of drawn comb this year.  One upside is that my splits this year will not have to draw out much comb.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 03:59:38 pm »
Thanks Cao

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 11:50:57 am »
I agree with TheHoneyPump.  If the frames are over half filled with junk, I will usually cut it out.  I think it would take longer for them to clean  it up then to build new comb.  I also try not to put too many junky frames on a single strong hive at one time.  I've got plenty of drawn comb this year.  One upside is that my splits this year will not have to draw out much comb.

Sounds good. What is your method of storing comb?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 09:58:50 pm »
I've got a shed in my backyard that was my garden shed but now has been taken over with bee stuff.  I store most of my extra boxes in it.  It is pretty much critter proof.  During the winter and as long as it gets down to freezing every once in a while, they are just stacked in there.  Last summer with the problems I had with SHBs, I stacked them in the shed and put moth crystals on top of the stacks.  I will have to be doing that in a couple of weeks when it warms up more.  Hopefully I will be getting some of that comb back on hives soon.

anything