Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm season begins.  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Swarm season begins.
« on: March 11, 2021, 08:27:59 am »
I have my swarm boxes out. The honey flow seems to have begun with flowering pear trees. I purchased some of those steel entrance disks, small ones for the nucs I built, and larger ones for the swarm boxes. I really like the disks. This swarm box is in a graveyard with a pond behind it. And yes, I have permission.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Re: Swarm season begins.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 09:07:02 pm »
The wife and I got to watch a swarm come into a baited box in our back yard Monday afternoon. Sure was nice to see one come in instead of going out.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 11:18:05 pm »
Watched a swarm leave one of my hives Tuesday and settle in a tree over the boat shed. Grabbed a ladder and duc taped a bucket onto a long pole. It took a few hard pokes to shake it into the bucket but had that baby safely in a nuc withing a hour or so. Yup it's swarm season.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 12:27:04 am »
Bob sounds like a good spot with the water nearby.  Have you noticed any scouts?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 08:25:18 am »
Bob,
I have found that putting a swarm trap up against a tree or building works much better than one in the open. They are used to finding holes in trees and buildings.
Good choice.
I have five traps out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 03:18:44 pm »
Jim I followed your advised and left one in my barn near my equipment and wham have one scouting as I type, not sure where from as I split every one of mine. Also caught 2 at my brother-in-laws house near a lake they love the lake traps.
Good luck all

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 03:49:23 pm »
I have my swarm boxes out. The honey flow seems to have begun with flowering pear trees. I purchased some of those steel entrance disks, small ones for the nucs I built, and larger ones for the swarm boxes. I really like the disks. This swarm box is in a graveyard with a pond behind it. And yes, I have permission.

Is that a five frame nuc, Bob?
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 10:24:46 pm »
Caught 3 so far, the lake trap caught one , barn trap caught one today, and we put one a friends house that wanted to start keeping bees and he caught on today at 530. So far Been a great year

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 12:36:37 am »
Caught 3 so far, the lake trap caught one , barn trap caught one today, and we put one a friends house that wanted to start keeping bees and he caught on today at 530. So far Been a great year

You are doing well!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 06:41:55 am »

You are doing well!
Is has all come together, thank you

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 08:05:36 am »
My friend is having more success than I. Scouts are sniffing around some old equipment donated to him, and a box he placed on his old homestead. I will check mine after this storm passes. Bees seem to swarm on a sunny day after a rainy day.
Michael.
The swarm box in the picture above holds 6 deep frames in the top, and is 2xs taller than a standard deep hive box. You can find the plans on horizontalhives.com.
However, if I make more, I will probably just make standard deeps for my swarm traps, with a solid bottom board and a migratory top.