Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splits  (Read 4088 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Splits
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2021, 06:24:37 am »
I would invite you to pick your brain on grafting, it is something I plan to start. The ots system has worked for me in growth. But hard to just make one queens offspring. Thank you

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2021, 08:43:25 am »
quote author=Ben Framed link=action=profile;u=44847 date=1617017558]
I would invite you to pick your brain on grafting, it is something I plan to start. The ots system has worked for me in growth. But hard to just make one queens offspring. Thank you

These are not my ideas but ideas I like. I in return invite you to pick Bob Binnies Brain. Good stuff here.

https://youtu.be/c28O916sy48
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2021, 01:59:39 pm »

Medic, I like the nicot system for queen rearing, except for the queen laying cage which I don?t use.  The hair roller cages are great to hold and protect the queen cell are excellent for banking or introducing a queen.  The removable larva cups are a big plus.  I can place a small larva cup next to the cell containing the larva, then scoop of the larva and place the larva in the cup which fits perfectly in the larva cup holder on the frame.  After the cell is capped, then into the hair roller cage.  All nicot parts fit like a glove.

Grafting is fairly easy, just takes practice,  My first attempt was about 20% success, next 40% then just gets better with each graft.  There is a simple learning process of organizing:  laying frames of larva at a slant, adjusting a magnifying light or jeweler hood, placement of the frame for a smooth transfer of larva.  It is little things you will learn to make the grafting process easy.  As far as grafting tool, I can make any work, my favorite is a jzbz which cost about $1 or the Chinese grafting tool with the push out very flexible lip which is less than $1, so you might purchase both and see which is your favorite.

Your grafting layout most likely will be clumsy at first, mine was.  But you learn how critique little things: my cell cups go here, cell holder there, larva frame here, grafting tool on top of waxed out frame...  just little things to make the process if grafting go smoothly.

BTW, it is totally cool to see your queens hatch in your hair roller cage: one day nothing, next day walking queens that are a delight to the eye.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 11:23:34 am »
Medic, I have used the Nicot Method and it is a good way to do it especially if you might be apprehensive about actually doing the graft. I have moved on to the Bob Binnie way of Queen Raising and don?t think I will going back to other ways. If you are interested in the Nicot System PM me.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 09:56:55 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 04:55:19 pm »
Beautiful frame of brood.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 08:39:42 pm »
Medic, I have used the Nicot Method and it is a good way to do it especially if you might be apprehensive about actually doing the graft. I have moved on to the Bob Binnie way of Queen Raising and think I will going back to other ways. If you are interested in the Nicot System PM me.
Thanks I may take you up and pm you later

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 08:40:26 pm »
Beautiful frame of brood.
thank you I just took the picture girls did the hard work

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 02:56:00 pm »
Oh wee, wall to wall brood, that is beautiful.  Most queens leave room at top for food.  Kinda rare to see such a full, I mean, laid frame to frame.  That queens should get a gold star.

Also, I don?t see flying nervous bees.  Are the bees calm on the frame, just walking without a care.  Ok, that queen gets another gold star.

Medic, you have a jewel of a queen.  Raise queens from that lil Lady, she is a doll for sure.  Good thing I  live far away or I would be sneaking into your apiary and oh wait, Father M. is on this thread.  Er uh Blessings.

I couldn't agree more!

anything