Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is this a varroa mite?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Is this a varroa mite?
« on: January 27, 2021, 09:55:44 am »
I thought it might be interesting to post this picture, seeing that bee season is slow to arrive for many beeks here, and we could all use another thread in the forum
I personally don't think that the bee at the top of the photo has a varroa mite on its shoulder. I think it is an older winter bee, and we all know that older people tend to get moles on their skin.
Any comments?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Is this a varroa mite?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 10:19:43 am »
Bob the picture is not as clear as needed leaving it to more or less a guess. From what I can make out, I would say it?s a pretty good chance.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:43 am »
Yeah, that picture is too small to tell, in my opinion.  If I had to guess, I'd say no, just because I think whatever that is is a little small for a varroa mite, but it's really hard to tell. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:47:58 am »
I downloaded the picture and played around with the sharpness and exposure. From it's location, size and color I would be pretty confident that it's a mite latched on between the abdomen and thorax.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 10:55:42 am »
Just a cautionary note, Bob.  Don't fall into the trap of using the mites that you can see on your bees as a gauge of infestation.  Most mites are attached on the underside and you will never see those.  If you can see mites on your bees you probably already have a serious infestation.
Alcohol wash is the best way to count your mite infestation.  And as soon as you can safely open for inspection is the time to begin.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 12:19:52 pm »
Bob I found this. A much clearer picture of varroa on a bee. If you look closely you will see the mite is in close proximity to the shape and size of your mite in question. Adding we also know as mites age, their color darkens considerably. Being it?s late January this mite in question meets the color criteria as well. Is this a mite?  I?m going with beeboy01 saying most likely. 😊😊  I thought of posting Dr Samuel Ramsey?s detailed video of varroa but since your question is trivial and intended for winter interest.  I refrained not wanting to take away from your question, (is this a mite) As others post we may change our mind. It may be something else? Good topic Bob.

https://images.app.goo.gl/fGS1tNi7kAn8xyRA6
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 10:18:13 pm »
Here's what they look like on a bee:
http://bushfarms.com/images/Varroa2.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything