Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Here - New to Beekeeping  (Read 4689 times)

Offline TheApostle

• New Bee
Re: New Here - New to Beekeeping
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 12:38:01 pm »
As far as mites go, I don't know if they are prevalent here in western Washington or not.

I presume that you are close to Pullman.  I am about 4 hours south of you in the Snake River Valley.  You will have mites sooner or later.  So, keep a watch for them in any way you want.  Then, deal with them however you want.  But, be sure that you do deal with them! 
  jimmy
x2.  Don't make the mistake of assuming that you don't have mites, it's unrealistic.  Have a plan in place to sample for them so you can keep an eye on your mite numbers, and start thinking about what strategy you would like to take to handle them.  For the overwhelming majority of beekeepers in this era, being a beekeeper means being a mite keeper.

Yikes. I better do more research and have options if it happens. I checked out a thread yesterday about them, it was titled 'is this a mite?" or something like that. Well with my sweet eyes ha ha, I couldn't see a thing. A poster then added a pic with the mites circled and then still I could barely see the differences.

Yeah, I am about 6 hours west of Pullman, on the Kitsap Peninsula, right in between the Olympic Mountains and the Cascades. There is an enormous difference between those climates (meaning Pullman and me, the Snake River Valley might be similar since you are coming off the Rockies), almost a rain forest where I'm at. I am hoping the weather and wetness here helps me out in that way. But yes, it seems like I need to do some more reading on stuff that could come up.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 01:08:51 pm »
Since you are new to beekeeping and not yet informed of mites  and problems associated with them. I will ask Mr HP or Member to display the wonderful talk that HoneyPump did here for Member a couple years ago regarding mites. Outstanding paper. Also there is a video by Dr Samuel Ramsey that discusses mites in particular that you will gain much needed information. I will try and find that for you.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 01:10:43 pm »
Since you are new to beekeeping and not yet informed of mites  and problems associated with them. I will ask Mr HP or Member to display the wonderful talk that HoneyPump did here for Member a couple years ago regarding mites. Outstanding paper. Also there is a video by Dr Samuel Ramsey that discusses mites in particular that you will gain much needed information. I will try and find that for you.

Here you go..

https://youtu.be/DK2Xi0ST4rA
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 02:08:02 pm »
Good idea, Phillip.  I'll see if I can figure out how to post that. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NvP-olm7vwMxPVH-Oi1CNHH70Wq913ym/view?usp=sharing
Someone let me know if the link is not working.

Yeah, I am about 6 hours west of Pullman, on the Kitsap Peninsula, right in between the Olympic Mountains and the Cascades. There is an enormous difference between those climates (meaning Pullman and me, the Snake River Valley might be similar since you are coming off the Rockies), almost a rain forest where I'm at. I am hoping the weather and wetness here helps me out in that way. But yes, it seems like I need to do some more reading on stuff that could come up.
We were having a sort of hypothetical conversation on another thread about moisture and its effect on pests in conjunction with ventilation, but I don't think any real link between them has been demonstrated.  My climate is similar to yours, a temperate rainforest.  I think the technical term is "mold city".  :cheesy:  I have the same mite problems as anyone, as the slideshow demonstrates. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 03:28:00 pm »
Good Job Member! The link came up when I went to it. This is a classic. Mr HoneyPump did and outstanding job on this. I am going to re-study as a refresher course. Thanks to both of you.

Offline TheApostle

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2021, 05:12:34 pm »
Thank you for the article. Makes me realize how little I know. I don't even know what I'm looking at/for in some of the pictures.

And I will have to watch the video later when I have some spare time.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2021, 06:07:53 pm »

We were having a sort of hypothetical conversation on another thread about moisture and its effect on pests in conjunction with ventilation, but I don't think any real link between them has been demonstrated.  My climate is similar to yours, a temperate rainforest.  I think the technical term is "mold city".  :cheesy:  I have the same mite problems as anyone, as the slideshow demonstrates.

Ha Ha I think you are referring to the Topic I started about Pest and cold weather effects? If so,. After the good comments here on the forum and added information, I wrote that theory off to bunkum.   :shocked:  lol :cheesy: :wink:

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 06:29:05 pm »
I was thinking Eastern Washington. My bad!
check out https://www.honeybeesuite.com/ when you get some time.  Rusty is in Western Washington.

jimmy

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2021, 07:18:31 pm »
Ha Ha I think you are referring to the Topic I started about Pest and cold weather effects? If so,. After the good comments here on the forum and added information, I wrote that theory off to bunkum.   :shocked:  lol :cheesy: :wink:
:happy:  Hey, I'm all for speculation.  Nobody discovers anything by just accepting what the books say as good enough.  Just probably not a good frame of mind to be in your first year.  :wink:  But heck, Phillip, you've done so much in your 3 years with that mentality, who am I to question it.   :smile:

Thank you for the article. Makes me realize how little I know. I don't even know what I'm looking at/for in some of the pictures.

Please don't take this the wrong way, Apostle, but I'm glad to hear you say that.  The moment a beekeeper thinks they know it all is the point at which they become a bad beekeeper.  With your frame of mind, you'll be good to go.  The people who succeed at this are those who are ready to learn and never stop, even if it's sometimes learning the hard way.  :happy: 

I was thinking Eastern Washington. My bad!
check out https://www.honeybeesuite.com/ when you get some time.  Rusty is in Western Washington.

Yes, yes, yes!  Basically everything I learned about beekeeping I learned either from Rusty or from here.  Honey Bee Suite is my favorite bee website, other than Beemaster of course.  :beemaster:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2021, 08:09:24 pm »
:happy:  Hey, I'm all for speculation.  Nobody discovers anything by just accepting what the books say as good enough.  Just probably not a good frame of mind to be in your first year.  :wink:  But heck, Phillip, you've done so much in your 3 years with that mentality, who am I to question it.   :smile:

Thanks Member, One thing you and I have in common beside asking questions, we also think out of the box.  :cheesy:  lol. I have really enjoyed my adventures here at beemaster along with all the people who have helped in my (schooling). Let the adventures continue!

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 08:42:29 pm »
Mr. Apostle:  pic for you of bottom board with dead mites.

For size, the photo is about 2.5 inches square, mites are about 1/16 inch.
Study the pic.  The white stuff is diatomaceous earth on a plastic screened bottom board.  The lil red dead creatures, kinda elliptic, are varroa destructor, hundreds I might add.  This non hygenic typical Italian honeybee hive was treated and the results are pictured.  Note the mites. 
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 08:46:12 pm »

Honey bee killer, European hornet.

Note the size of the stinger of the European hornet compared to a honey bee.  Hopefully your area does not have the Hornets, just ask locals.

Cheers
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 10:47:28 pm »

Honey bee killer, European hornet.

Note the size of the stinger of the European hornet compared to a honey bee.  Hopefully your area does not have the Hornets, just ask locals.

Cheers
That is such an impressive photo, Van. 

Just to get on the front end of a potential question, this is not a "murder hornet".  European hornets are a nuisance, but they don't decimate healthy hives like Asian Giant Hornets can.  Although they aren't the threat to people the press makes them out to be, the Asian Giant Hornet issue in the Pacific Northwest may be something for you to keep an eye on, Apostle. 

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=53589.0

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2021, 05:03:51 pm »
I would not want to be stung by one of those Mr Van!!   :shocked: :shocked: :grin:

Offline TheApostle

• New Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 05:49:44 pm »
Holy cow! Nice terrifying me with the graphic pictures! I was picturing a humming, thriving colony of happy bees, pollinating flowers, making honey. Not battling mites or hornets with syringe size stingers. As I was reading through, I decided that rather than overloading myself with information, I would break it up into sections - getting set up, which is where I'm at now, then say hiving the colony which I now see presents conflicting accounts on how to actually do it (i.e. leave frames out vs. don't leave frames out, hang the queen vs. don't hang the queen), and then I was going to progress into checking the state of your hive like activity and health. I guess I better get into the health section sooner than later.

Thank you everyone for all of the help and replies. Sorry that I haven't been on in a week or two, with what is going on in the world we've been working crazy schedules. I'll be reading up on the health stuff during my commutes this week!

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 06:49:07 pm »
Holy cow! Nice terrifying me with the graphic pictures! I was picturing a humming, thriving colony of happy bees, pollinating flowers, making honey. Not battling mites or hornets with syringe size stingers.
It's only fair we let you know what you are REALLY in for.  Being a beekeeper isn't at all like those Flow Hive commercials.  :wink: 

As I was reading through, I decided that rather than overloading myself with information, I would break it up into sections - getting set up, which is where I'm at now, then say hiving the colony which I now see presents conflicting accounts on how to actually do it (i.e. leave frames out vs. don't leave frames out, hang the queen vs. don't hang the queen), and then I was going to progress into checking the state of your hive like activity and health. I guess I better get into the health section sooner than later.

I had a piano teacher who used to say "Slow it down and break it down".  I think that applies to a lot of things, and beekeeping is one of them.  The best piece of advice I ever got during the research phase was to really focus on learning about bees, and not so much about beekeeping.  Everyone will keep bees differently, there are as many styles of beekeeping as there are people.  Don't labor over the minutiae too much (like frames in or frames out when hiving a colony), everyone will have their own opinions, just try to find out the options and do what you think will be most comfortable for you.  And when issues come up, you can ask questions about those things then.  But if you learn about bees and how they order their lives and how a colony works, it will be a lot easier to recognize things you can/should do and why things are happening the way there are.                   

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2021, 06:10:19 pm »
Wow. Everyone is so friendly here! I belong to only one other forum and it is cutthroat. The difference is night and day. I appreciate the willingness to help and I?m sure I?ll have a ton more questions.
I've rarely met a group of people more willing to help in general than beeks. And some great answers on here.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2021, 10:07:43 pm »
Welcome. Nice looking hive stand.

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2021, 10:39:55 am »
++on the hive stand .if your hive is not high enough the skunks will raid it and you will have mean bees.you may want to feed your new livestock . feed inside the hive and watch out for robbing.

anything