Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Update on Rescue Operation  (Read 1590 times)

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
Update on Rescue Operation
« on: January 18, 2021, 06:50:00 pm »
It was 65*F today so took the opportunity to check on my hives.

The backyard hive that was such a worry last summer is now absolutely full of bees!

It swarmed back in spring of 2020.  My mom passed away and so I did not keep up with it as I should have, assuming that they would re-queen themselves.  By the time I figured out they had not the hive was in serious trouble.

I gave them resources from hives at the farm location where I have two hives but it did not help.

I ordered a high powered queen from California and successfully introduced her but the hive was so weak.  It was getting cool and we were in a drought situation.  Ugh.

Some of the good brothers here suggested solutions, which advice I took.  I reduced from 8 to 6 frames, insulated the brood chamber, and cooked up some fondant.

Got in there today and was happy to see the hive is full of bees, well organized, and happy.

The queen did an amazing job; so, I may take this brood line out to the farm location to improve their genetics.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Update on Rescue Operation
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 07:18:32 pm »
I for one am happy that you are posting. Your persistence paid off! Insprinitional! Thanks for the update!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:00:26 pm »
Great news, Father Michael.  Wishing you and the hive well this year.

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 09:09:10 pm »
Thanks, guys.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 10:33:55 am »
Good news indeed.  I find no surprise that you received a Blessing of healthy bees.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 08:12:56 pm »
Thanks, Van.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 09:21:18 pm »
That's great news well done
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 06:28:50 pm »
Thanks, Brian.

It was painful to watch them struggle.

Such remarkable creatures to fight for survival as they did.

It taught me, though, to be ready because some day I'll lose a hive and will have to accept it.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 08:14:41 pm »
Thanks, Brian.

It was painful to watch them struggle.

Such remarkable creatures to fight for survival as they did.

It taught me, though, to be ready because some day I'll lose a hive and will have to accept it.

Father Michael, all will lose a hive, just a matter of time now a days.

As a kid, 1966, Dad bought me my first hive, $35.00.  For a decade, 10 years that hive prospered in the same spot without any care on my part.  All I did was add supers in Spring, extract honey in July.  I never requeened, the hive cast a swarm every year and beekeeping was effortless.

Now a days, I lose hives every year.  This is getting a bit off subject so I will cut this short.  Beekeepers lose hives, don?t take it personal, just do your best and enjoy the beauty, the enjoyment/entertainment, the fun with the bees.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.