Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it Time Already?  (Read 5916 times)

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
Re: Is it Time Already?
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2021, 12:35:14 am »
You Florida beeks are killing me with envy.  It?s like 25F in the morning with frost every day here in N Arkansas and you fellas, ya you Florida Beeks  are talking about bees bringing in pollen.  Don?t try to deny it, I read your post.  Practically had tears of joy running down my checks until I look out my window and see frozen brown grass with barren trees everywhere.

So do an old fella, Me, a favor and post some pics of bees with pollen or pics of flowers.  Any type of flower will enlighten me, put a smile on my face, until March when I see the real mc coy with my own eyes.

Thank you,

Van
I hear you Van. We were in Ft Walton a couple of weeks ago and I've long thought about buying an acre of two somewhere in the state, and wondering how far down you have to be to start early. But even I didn't think they started this early. We will have another month of winter (TN mountains) then the valleys will typically break, then ~10 days later blooms will be out here. Chomping at the bit.......

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 08:09:31 pm »
Got a surprise today, opened my hives and found that they are pretty much honey bound with some of the shallows loaded with capped frames. Ah heck, looks like I'm doing an early extraction tomorrow just to give the girls a little room, go figure. Never had to extract this early and am thinking the honey could be from Red Maple which has been in bloom for about three weeks.
  Going to pull out my big old beast of a Kelly reversible extractor made in 1960's and spin what is capped. Probably will only get two or three gallons but it's the first time I've had a Red Maple honey crop so it's worth a try.
  Yeah, It's time Already. :)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 08:48:31 pm »
> Going to pull out my big old beast of a Kelly reversible extractor made in 1960's and spin what is capped. Probably will only get two or three gallons but it's the first time I've had a Red Maple honey crop so it's worth a try.

>Yeah, It's time Already. :)

Wow! Yep in Port Orange FL. Congratulations .......
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2021, 09:11:14 pm »
Ben, On a regular year I'm not even scheduled to go into the hives till the end of the month. Got burned last year with the early warm weather and am trying to adapt. At last count I have about two dozen full sized Red Maples on my property and an easy twice that in the wooded lots within walking distance.
  One of the local commercial guys who really knows his stuff said to keep an eye out for a Red Maple crop in mid February, guess he knew what he was talking about.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2021, 09:15:22 pm »
Ben, On a regular year I'm not even scheduled to go into the hives till the end of the month. Got burned last year with the early warm weather and am trying to adapt. At last count I have about two dozen full sized Red Maples on my property and an easy twice that in the wooded lots within walking distance.
  One of the local commercial guys who really knows his stuff said to keep an eye out for a Red Maple crop in mid February, guess he knew what he was talking about.

Yes he did. Those guys are well worth paying close attention too. 

I was expecting a colder than usual winter here, so far so good. Still, nothing like what you are experiencing there. Time will tell. Wishing you continued success.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2021, 02:56:42 pm »
I just saw my first pollen pants of the season!  :happy: 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2021, 03:11:39 pm »
Had an interesting day in the yard or more like a good morning pulling a few frames and extracting them. Ended up with only eight shallow frames worth extracting but remember I was only working three hives today so it was worth it. The honey has a totally different flavor when compared to the usual wild flower or palmetto that comes as my first crop. It's thick, medium light in color and actually tastes like bubble gum, go figure. Not sure if I'm going to use it in my coffee, that might be pushing it too far but I'll add it to the unique flavors of honey I've been lucky enough to taste so far in my lifetime.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2021, 10:41:57 pm »
You Florida beeks are killing me with envy.  It?s like 25F in the morning with frost every day here in N Arkansas and you fellas, ya you Florida Beeks  are talking about bees bringing in pollen.  Don?t try to deny it, I read your post.  Practically had tears of joy running down my checks until I look out my window and see frozen brown grass with barren trees everywhere.

So do an old fella, Me, a favor and post some pics of bees with pollen or pics of flowers.  Any type of flower will enlighten me, put a smile on my face, until March when I see the real mc coy with my own eyes.

Thank you,

Van
I hear you Van. We were in Ft Walton a couple of weeks ago and I've long thought about buying an acre of two somewhere in the state, and wondering how far down you have to be to start early. But even I didn't think they started this early. We will have another month of winter (TN mountains) then the valleys will typically break, then ~10 days later blooms will be out here. Chomping at the bit.......

I know exactly what you mean by chomping at the bit...  currently in my area, glazed icy roads m, schools closed, will not see above freezing temps for at least another week.  Lows 4F with a high about 28F for a week, then hopefully this winter storm will pass and above freezing temps will prevail.

BTW, I looked at the world temp map: Florida from 70F to 65F for a mean temp.  So, I am going to be experiencing 6F and sawdust, Jim is going to be 70F.  Yep, you Florida beeks still have my envy for  sure.  Give me 8 more weeks and my bees a flying with pollen.

Member, thank you so much for the pic.  Pics of flying bees are enlightening to me as I look outside to see ice everywhere.  Watch your step.

Health to all.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2021, 11:26:43 pm »
Looking for a little snow or ice here tomorrow nite.
This is a little more par for the course for those who aren?t in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2021, 04:06:03 pm »
I miss a wood burning stove they make a house so nice when it's cold outside. 

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2021, 08:03:23 pm »
Made 4 splits from my production Hives and did the OTS on them. Got 9 more to split but they are easy 5 over 5 nucs that I over wintered this year, also set up a new yard ,  knock on wood has been a great start.

anything