Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow the bloom 2021  (Read 19185 times)

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
Re: Follow the bloom 2021
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 11:15:17 pm »
Drove to check hives today (Mississippi).  From Jackson metro to Attala County, Red maples barely showing.  Some green pollen coming in today (not sure what that?s from).
@burleybeeyard

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 02:10:00 pm »
Purple blossoms of rosemary.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 03:20:11 pm »
Maples are starting here in WNC. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 10:58:35 am »
West of lake city the primrose-willow was huge when I was out there yesterday. I will assume the next two nights will end that though. Speaking of that the last frost damaged the first round of blooms my pear trees, the last week has them full of blooms, my assumption is the same for them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:41:22 am by Bill Murray »

Offline retsofmit

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 11:02:43 am »
in central TX and our dandelions were blooming and the elm trees too in the beginning of Feb.  Bees were bringing in tons of pollen and upon inspection of my one hive I started with last spring, tons of capped brood.

Then the iceman cometh and froze everything last week.  Thawed out on Sat and the bee were flying again and I was surprised to see they were bringing in pollen.  Didn't see anything blooming near me, but I am pretty sure it was dandelion again.  On Sunday the dandelionos were blooming in my yard too and the elms and cedars are in flower again. 

Here's too a good spring.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 11:41:18 pm »
The picture is a Osaka cherry with honey bees. Dandelion is blooming now, and red pollen is coming in from henbit.

Offline Old Goat

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 09:04:02 am »
Here in South Central Illinois we have had Henbit and Dead Nettle for a couple of weeks, they are almost done now. Maple has blossomed too. Now first week of April we have Bradford Pear and Dandelion. Red Bud is only a few days away.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2021, 11:35:12 pm »
Tulip poplar and black locust just starting. Crimson clover is full bloom in my food plots as well.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 07:16:34 am »
Black Gum has been in full bloom for a week. Bees have been keeping the trees buzzing. Each tree seems to stay in bloom for about 4 days. They do not all come into bloom at the same time which is a good thing. Gallberry is just starting to bloom. Bees are ignoring it while the Black Gum is still blooming.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2021, 11:35:03 am »
Here in the Valley in VA we have locusts and cherry in bloom. Also lots of clover blooming fast
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2021, 02:24:16 pm »
Surprisingly, this week we had a few days with no nectar coming in. I brought home a cut out and the bees were all over the wax that I removed. Today the Chinese Tallow is in full bloom. I was expecting the palmetto to bee in bloom but I have not seen any blooming this year.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2021, 04:39:51 pm »
The Mesquite this spring are loaded with blooms.

The swarm I caught are going gangbusters.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2021, 12:07:19 am »
After a stormy week that ended the tallow tree flow and Vitex, the Sabal palms are sending out inflorescences. Looks like the windmill palms are almost fully blooming.  Flight speed to and fro has picked up again. 

And ugh, those supers are heavy.   :cheesy:

Hasn't anyone figured out a way to put a 5 frame super on top of a 10 frame brood nest?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2021, 09:20:25 am »
FG,
I have 4-10 frame boxes on top of 2-8 frame boxes. Just place a piece of plastic cardboard, that everybody uses for signs, cut it so that it coves the area not covered by 5 frame box. The bees will seal up any leaks.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2021, 10:11:02 pm »
Thats a good idea Jim, ive been using old feeder lids. Cant wait till election year now.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2021, 08:07:34 am »
Bill,
I got a bunch of the signs when I bought out an apiary. They came from a major charity golf tournament. One side has companies names the other is blank.
How many do you need?
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 12:56:19 pm »
If you happen by my neck of the woods Id like to try 1 or 2.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 03:01:40 pm »
I?ll putting 2 in my truck.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2021, 05:52:13 pm »
Sabal palm had a long run this yeal. Maybe lots of rain sent out a second flush of fronds. 

Sumac has begun! And Liriope.  The bees are pottering aroung on mexican clover and spanish needle.  This morning one hive found an all-out flow, but this afternoon is too hot and they are resting inside.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2021, 11:18:18 am »
I was out in the yard yesterday and was stunned to see goldenrod in full bloom already.

anything